kkolander is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Access error message 'admin file in use'

Hi, getting an Access 365 error message - 'admin file in use'. Have never gotten it before.
    We are on a shared drive using a split database. I had us all restart machines. That didn't fix it. When more than one or 2 gets on the database, the next one cannot. We all have edit/change privileges for the db. Am not sure if someone did not close out of the db before the weekend. IT was rebooting machines. Not sure if that was the issue. If no easy solution, will see about resetting the db from over the weekend. Any advice would be much appreciated. Keith

Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks, but that, according to IT, does not apply to our computers. It's something else causing it.
    Am hoping a simple restore will fix the problem. The other odd thing that has happened is that
    I'm getting lock files, 3 of them, after completing exiting the db. That shouldn't be happening.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I'm fairly certain that is caused by the bug that was introduced by an update last Tuesday and fixed less than 3 days later.
    Your IT team may not be aware of the issue ..or care?
    Force an update to the latest version of 365 - Version 2111 Build 14701.20262. Your problems should be fixed
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi, We tried with the latest 365 build - 20262. Still have the same issue.
    One or 2 can get on, but after that, it throws up the 'admin file in use'.
    (We were running fine on Friday. This happened Monday morning.)
    Saw in other replies to go back to a previous update. That's confusing,
    if Microsoft said they knew of the bug and fixed it. Also, still getting lock
    files on the system and 2 split Access database files when all have exited db. That shoudn't be happening, unless it's from
    that bug. I have no idea what the admin file is anyway. What is that referring to?
    Keith

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is all based on you having ruled out that there was no update involved for anyone using the db:

Any new users or anyone had their network permissions altered? Each person must have read, write, edit, delete at least. If they don't have delete permissions on the db folder they can't delete the ldb or lccdb file. Sometimes that doesn't matter, sometimes it does. If anyone is opening db in exclusive mode no one else will get in. That certainly would be an issue if they don't have delete permissions as well.

The back end db (assuming you have split db) isn't an old mdb file perchance? Almost seems like you could be describing an issue with a workspace file (mdw).
    You should be able to see who's got the db locked up if you examine the lccdb file in notepad.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    I have 3 files: the system.mdw, and the split database files - .mdb files.
    Opening the system.mdw file with notepad - you get junk.
    I can print the user permission info. I assume that is from the system. mdb file?
    No one has had permissions that were altered.
    All have add/change and delete permissions on the data.
    The first person can get in, no problem. The 2nd person can't get in.
    The ldb files are not getting cleared when anyone exits the db. Before Monday
    I could also check and see if anyone is in the db by checking to see if any lock
    files are there or not.

Keith

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I didn't say to open the mdw file with notepad - I suggested the lccdb (or ldb in your case).
    The first person can get in, no problem. The 2nd person can't get in.
    I now suppose that it doesn't matter who is first.
    The ldb files are not getting cleared when anyone exits the db.
    If it's not because of lack of delete permission, then that is a network server issue. It's not 'refreshing' often enough or not purging these files when a user exits db. I've see this before.

It's been too long since I had to dabble in mdw files and workspaces that they control so I won't be of much help to you. I'd start Googling your issue wrt mdw (workspace) files for Access, or just get rid of it and convert the db to a newer version.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I suspect your thread title could be a bit more accurate, which might be why you got some of those suggestions. Is the message really

Could not use 'Admin'; File already in use"

? My apologies if that is not correct. IIRC, Admin is the user level in the mdw file, it's not that the "Admin file" is in use. I did a wee bit of researching on
    ms access "could not use admin; file already in use"
    and
    ms access "could not use admin" "file already in use"

Not a lot of hits either way, so you probably won't need a lot of time to see what others found. As usual, some threads don't seem to have a definitive solution. You'll find that most are old because most developers abandoned the approach long ago. Newer versions of Access don't even provide the functionality, so that should tell you something.

EDIT - I wrote "Each person must have read, write, edit, delete at least." Likely they need modify as well, so they can modify the lock file, otherwise they don't get in. Now I'm wondering if all your users are using Admin role. IIRC, that's only for someone who likely needs exclusive access in order to modify structure or certain data. I would not rule out the possibility that network admin has mass-edited user permissions and is sitting back waiting to see who complains. It's an oft used practice to tighten things up without having to poll users. If you're assuming that rights are all A-OK, I would advise you to verify that they have not been modified.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I believe the bug will re-appear if anyone opens the database with the buggy version.
    So ensure everyone is updated before using it.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I did a little test and copied the db and put
    it on an external drive. It cleared the ldb files after exiting the db. We have the
    db on a network drive here. It now does not clear the ldb files after exiting,
    and complains if a 2nd person tries to get on, with the 'admin file in use' error.
    It's hard to now exactly what the problem is. Something on our network drive?
    Also, we all have admin rights, though not necessary. We have another group
    of privieleges to add/change/delete any table on the db. I am the only one who
    needs to have the admin rights. But, we were all running fine last week. This
    all started Monday morning when one complained about the admin file in use.
    I inherited the db over 13 years ago. It was a 2003 db. It has been running
    pretty flawlessly over the years. This is the first time that I have seen the
    admin file in use errror. Something changed since Friday, but don't know what
    that is yet. Keith

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Your symptoms are absolutely consistent with the O365 bug, that I experienced first hand on a clients system.
    The same error on a legacy database.
    Nothing I could do would let me into the database, I couldn't even copy it off somewhere else, because I was only accessing the share not the folder directly on the file server.

They applied the latest office update (bug fix version) and the problem disappeared.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Hi, has anyone found a solution yet? I think the Windows updates caused the bug as I've used the runtime version and the same issue is happening.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.