Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

How to Attach Files to Posts

I thought a little bit of explanation on how to attach files might be warranted since many newcomers seem to struggle with it. I searched before posting this but all I found was more people with problems but not much on how it's done. IMHO, it's not all that intuitive for newcomers.

At present, the file size limit means that most database files must be zipped. It usually helps to perform the compact/repair function on your db. This might raise a compile error if, for example, you have missing references in your code project.

First, I suggest you place your cursor in your post where you want the attachment to go. Then click the Go Advanced button.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum1.jpg 
Views:	1601 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	32417

You should then see an advanced view with a tool bar which contains an attachment button. Click on it.

Name:	forum2.jpg 
Views:	1593 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	32418

As the #1 instruction says, click Add Files to upload your db or image. There is a "container" below what I've shown here that holds all the past files you've uploaded. I have clipped this, but it will be visible in a following image. While it's suggested that you can insert an attachment into your post from this collection, I have never tried to do so. As a first time uploader, your collection space will be empty.

Name:	forum3.jpg 
Views:	1591 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	32419

To upload a new file, click the Browse button

Name:	forum4.jpg 
Views:	1588 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	32420

A file system dialog should appear where you then navigate to the file you wish to upload. I have found that multi select is not supported here.

Name:	forum5.jpg 
Views:	1584 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	32421

In a post like this one, you will find that only 5 attachments are allowed, so I will attempt to continue this in a subsequent post.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Once you have chosen the file for upload and have closed the file dialog, you are back to the Upload button, which oddly enough for me, highlights white and the label disappears. Click that button to upload your file.

Name:	forum6.jpg 
Views:	1589 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	32422

The uploaded file should appear at the bottom of this window.

Name:	forum7.jpg 
Views:	1592 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	32423

Click the Insert Inline button (which also whites out for me) to insert the file or image where you originally placed your cursor. Then click Done to return to your post view.

Name:	forum8.jpg 
Views:	1588 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	32424

I have found that an image file sometimes appears in the post as a thumbnail. Click on Preview Post to see how your image looks size and position wise. I think some people may have posted very large images sometimes, because of the miniaturized view, and in the final rendering, their images are huge. Just a theory.
    Hope this becomes a useful reference for those trying to help others insert files or images into their posts.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I found this in the FAQ -Frequent Questions -Attachments and Images
    https://www.accessforums.net/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

Note: I created the post, then separately went to the faq page re attachments and images,
    -then took a screen capture that I saved locally as Images.jpg
    -
    edited my post by going to the end of text and clicked on the image control in the message header,
    -this opens a dialog
    - I browsed to the file, selected it,
    -then did the upload.

-Resultant sample image is below:

Sample image

Name:	Images.jpg 
Views:	1600 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	32425
    Last edited by orange; 01-29-2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added info re attach image process

That confirms what I've always suspected - I don't know how to search here

One of them out to be a "sticky" that stays at the top of the forum.

June7 is online now VIP
    Even better maybe - a "How To" button next to "How To Post A Question". Although probably end up just another clue that gets ignored.

Stickys only 'sticking' in Suggestions forum. Not sure that is helpful. Maybe if the forum were called "Forum FAQ and Suggestions" it would draw more readers.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NewbyForAccess is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    June7, I did everything to get the file uploaded, but it's still too large to be uploaded. I tried removing more and even being compressed hasn't helped. I may not be able to get what I want out of it. Seems the more I work on this project, the more confused I get. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I did everything to get the file uploaded, but it's still too large to be uploaded.

suggest take these actions

1. take a copy of your db
    2. delete tables not relevant to your question and/or delete records, leaving enough to illustrate the issue
    3. assuming this is live data, it would be wise to change names etc
    4. compact and repair
    5. zip the file

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks, Ajax, for the help, but I had already stripped it down and just stripped it more. It's still too large.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have seen this problem before. Do/did any of the tables contain attachments such as documents, pictures, etc? I'm referring to fields that are of the attachment type and not just fields that contain text paths to those items.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron, no, I only had one image that I used to create a cover page, but I removed that from the db. I left only the portions I knew would be needed.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well, assuming you've removed what you can, compacted it and then zipped it and it's still too large, then my suggestion would be to create a new db and import into it whatever is needed to address your issue. Then test that your issue can be replicated, then compact and zip this new file and see what you get.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, I have compacted it several times as I just continue to remove more. If I remove more, I can't show or explain the problem I'm having.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron, your method worked. I was finally successful in getting it uploaded. Thank you!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If we really wanted to know why, a copy of the too large file would be needed. I suspect the issue is/was with system tables, which would not be imported into the new db.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.