Roncc is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Access Program stopped working

Hello all. I am a volunteer for a local Food Bank and back in 2012 I wrote created a simple Access database to allow them to keep track of their clients, how much food they receive, how often they use our services, etc. I am not a "professional" computer guy but have learned a lot about Access through simple OJT. The database has been running smoothly for 7 years. Yesterday I went to use the data base and it simply stopped working. When I open the database the Main Menu appears as it should. I have a button on the Main Menu that allows me to locate clients by date of birth and normally when I select that button a dialogue box opens and allows me to input the date of birth which is then used as criteria in a select query which is the data source for the next form that opens. This time, when I selected the date of birth button the screen went blank for a while then returned me to the Main Menu (this was as per the on error script). I reviewed the code and went into debug mode and found that it said a query I was using was "corrupted". I deleted the query in question and recreated it with the same parameters as the original and with the same name but it still did not work. I could get the database to work on another computer that had Access installed on it with no problem. I un-installed the Access software itself and then re-installed the Access software from my original Microsoft Access disk. It did not fix the problem. I un-installed the Access software again the created a subdirectory off the C: drive and named that subdirectory Access then re-installed the Access software using the Custom Install option and selected the subdirectory C:\Access as the location for the software. When I tried to use my database I still had the same problem where it said the query was corrupted. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any ideas? Oh, the Access version I am using is Access 2010

Thank for the help.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Is it even open on more than one computer at the same time?
    If so, you should really split the database (Google "Split Access Database" for instructions).

How big is the database (how much memory is it taking up)?

Do you regularly run a "Compact and Repair" on the database, to keep bloating down (if you don't, you should).
    Try doing that and see if that fixes the error.

If not, what you can try that often fixes corruption errors is to create a brand new blank database, then import ALL objects from your old database to your new one, and start using the new one (this is how you do a "database" copy). Many times, the corruption is with one of the hidden system files, and this fixes that.

Thanks JoeM. To answer: the database is a stand alone and is only located on one computer. We use a thumbdrive to move the database to other computers when needed. The database size is 52,492 KB. I did run a compact and repair but it did not fix the problem.

Thank you for the suggestion about creating a new database and importing the objects, I had not thought of that.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Another question.

You said that you are using a thumb drive to move it to other computers. Are all computers using the same version of Access?
    I don't think it should matter if only one person has it open at a time, but it could be a complicating factor.

I used to get occassional corruption on a few of my databases, and creating the new database always seemed to do the trick for me.

We only have Access on three computers and the versions are all the same. We use one computer for an Access database for our Clothing Bank, another for our front desk to check people in when they come in, and the third computer for the Food Database which is the one we have a problem with. If we make a copy of the Food database and physically install it on one of the other computers it works fine.

Thanks for the guidance.

Ron

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

I tried to open the link to the "Re Corrupt Query" item but was told I do not have permission to open it.
    Ill do search of the Forum to see if I can locate it.

Sorry Roncc that link is not generally available.
    Here's a link in a different forum on same topic. This is all related to a recent M$oft update.
    It may not apply to your set up, but may.
    Sorry for any inconvenience with that other link.

Google with this criteria query corrupt recent Microsoft update for more related info.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Roncc View Post
    I tried to open the link to the "Re Corrupt Query" item but was told I do not have permission to open it.
    Ill do search of the Forum to see if I can locate it.
    Me too, and there's no way that would be the case.

EDIT- sorry, late to the party again (and possibly wrong about the assumption).
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    FYI, the link in post 6 is to a thread in the moderator forum, so any non-moderator will get an error trying to access it. The link in post 8 has several relevant links to info on the "query x is corrupt" issue.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Orange, I followed your advice and found the information. Hopefully I can get it all worked out. I'm not going to mark this as solved yet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.