Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Duncan Pucher is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

I have a DB but want to protect it from user changes and protect with a password. How do I do this?

Attached is a database. I would like to put into use and need to know about turning off menu and navigation settings. I have listened to Youtube videos which describe how to turn off the features in File > Options > Current Database but am not sure which ones to turn off. In addition, I would like to set up protection so only I can go into design mode or other configuration modes. How can I protect it from other people getting into design or other change modes.

It would be helpful if I received screen shots so I can know what to turn back on and how to configure.

Thank you,
    Attached Files Attached Files

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    It sounds like maybe you want to create an ACCDE (compiled version of database) to distribute to users, which will lock a lot of things down.
    See: https://sourcedaddy.com/ms-access/di...cde-files.html

Just be sure that you keep a copy of the original, non-compiled version for yourself, as if you ever want to change anything, you will need to do it to that version, and then re-compile a new ACCDE to distribute.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Joe,

Thanks for the idea. This looks like a secure method.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sounds like this will be a shared db. You know about splitting a db into front and back ends?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    For a detailed tutorial on this subject, see my articles http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/i...ity/4594461803 and http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/i...y-2/4594571073
    These cover a wide range of security measures including both the use of ACCDE files and split databases.
    The second article has detailed instructions and an example database you can use for testing
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016

Using Runtime version popup for Microsoft security warning, compare db with backup copy

Colin,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Attached is a copy of the database that is used at my health care facility. I believe the use of a runtime only version best meets my needs but I get a popup when opening the db of a "Security Notice" (attached is the screenshot and DB). I followed instructions in the notice but selecting option one caused the file to stop loading. Do you know the best option to remove this notice upon load?

Also, I would like to be able to investigate if a user inadvertently deletes records or says records are lost. Is there a way to compare one table to another to show what may have changed from a backup copy to the current copy?
    Attached Files Attached Files

The security notice is likely to be because your database is not running from a trusted location.
    You can set this using a registry script if using runtime Access (ask if you don't know how) otherwise set the location as trusted from within Access.

Answering on my tablet so haven't undone the security needed to view the tables.
    It would save me time if you could post an unprotected version.
    If the data is real, please alter or randomise it.

The best way to avoid any risk of data being edited or deleted is to disable edits/deleted in the form properties.
    Or if you prefer, only allow authorised users to make changes and lock the form for standard users.
    However if you want to check on changes already made, have a look at my article on synchronising data http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/s...a-1/4594514001
    There are various methods shown which you should be able to adapt for your purposes.

Hope that helps you get a bit further
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Colin,

Thanks. I see where I can make it a trusted site. I will test the functions you described in synchronizing data article.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have another problem with the DB involving users who inadvertently click on things in the DB. Today I noticed the DB was missing. I searched but couldn't find it and I feel a user got frustrated and deleted it somehow. The DB was restored and I plan on setting up a front end and back end to secure it. My question is: can I set up a routine backup from Access or from Windows itself to copy the DB daily? (I don't have access to the server backups unfortunately).

Also, I put the DB in a folder and allowed users to go to it and click on it to open the DB. However, Access creates a file called "Microsoft Access Record-Locking Information" (*.LACCDB) which appears in the folder I put the DB and a user kept trying to open it. Is there a better way to manage this issue so the user doesn't click on the wrong file or a way to remove the *.LACCDB file from appearing?

Thank you,

Strongly recommend that you both split the database and that users run the application from a desktop shortcut.
    As users need read/write access to the file folder there is no way of preventing users deleting the file (or a shortcut) by mistake or on purpose.
    You certainly could create a scheduled task to replace the front end each day from a central location.
    This would also ensure the user has the latest copy of the frontend

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the tips. I will use a desktop icon and split the dB.

What would be the best method to create a daily backup?

Also, I have Access 2010 on a server drive. I expect up to 3 users could have the dB open but unlikely in the same record. Does this create instability? should Access 2010 be able to handle multiple users at the same time?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You are referring to backing up the be (data) only, yes?
    Probably a batch (command) file, as long as your system will allow code to run code. Windows will allow a file copy even if that file is in use. However, you realize that if you have to restore a lost be that you will lose any data changes that occurred between the time of loss and the prior backup date/time? I guess that's better than a permanent loss.

If users are opening the be directly, you could have it send you an email as long as it's done in a way that won't create the Outlook security prompt. Or you could simply write their credentials into a table that you can look at. However, if they can get at/see that table, they can delete that record. Maybe your level of security needs tweaking. I'll leave that to Colin, the expert on the subject.
    Not sure what your trigger would be though.

I make daily backups using a scheduled task but it can also be done from the frontend using code.
    For most purposes, daily is adequate though I know of cases where it is done hourly

If you wish I can provide you with code you can tweak.
    As Micron said, at the worst you will then only lose data created/edited after the last backup

As for multiple users, the maximum theoretical limit is 255 concurrent users though Access will slow to a crawl or crash long before that limit.
    However I regularly have Access FEs in use with 25-50 users at once.
    One large schools app has up to 200 users at peak times ...though that runs with a SQL Server BE for stability and additional security.
    Three concurrent users isn't an issue as long as each user has their own copy of the FE on their own workstation

I've already provided links to two security articles but there is other related info on my website as well
    Last edited by isladogs; 07-10-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron,

I set up a front end and back end and it is working. I'll work on the security features.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Colin,

I hope your mid-Summer is going well.

I setup a front end and back end DB and it is working well. Yes, I would appreciate code to tweak to make a daily back up at midnight of the Access BE from the FE using code.

I may need to copy the FE and BE and send to someone for tweaking. How can I do this since the FE will not find the BE after it is removed from the folder?

Thank you,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.