Starter-4-10 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2003

On opening any Access dbse: "[Dbse] doesn't support ... .jpg. Try converting to BMP or GIF."

As you see, novice using 2003 and Win 10. I try to open any of several Access databases (all accessing the same folders of small .jpgs), and get 5 messageboxes saying "YourDatabase.mdb doesn't support the format .... .jpg. Try converting to BMP or GIF." Finally, dbse opens with no images.

Before that failure, I'd been working on only one database, doing very ordinary non-image related stuff, saving ordinarily. Failure is only in Access: Word, Photoshop ... everything's happy with .jpg.

This has happened once before. Googled, followed links, no cure found. One, seemingly a Settings backup in Microsoft Office Tools, successful in one case, no use because the OPC file involved didn't exist. Another, Registry H_KEY_CURRENT_USER and _LOCAL MACHINE, looked promising, but not enough info to know what (if anything) needed correction. Novice panic: did a system restore, problem solved.

This time, system restore didn't work; perhaps because, instead of going back to the "problem solved" restore point, I only went back a week, no benefit, cancelled restore, went to "problem solved" restore point, restore unsuccessful.

Grateful for your ideas. And ... any way of fireproofing/setting in concrete these databases under Win10 updates and iffy "cleaners", or shall I go back to XP, where everything was fine for 15 years?

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Access 2003 does not natively support .jpg file.

For tips to make it work see: Access & jpg - MS Access jpeg techniques

With Access 2003 I started using third-party controls like DBPix and Access Imagine

FWIW: Access 2010 and later have much better support for images. Images on a form in continuous view is very simple now.

Example:

Windows 10 Access 2003
    My databases have run .jpgs fine for 15 years. Now, suddenly, I must pay any extra $99 to use them? No way! This glitch is repairable.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    It appears the first link I posed does not work. It has tips that may help. Here it is again: http://www.ammara.com/articles/access-jpg.html and also these http://www.ammara.com/articles/accesspictureole.html and http://www.ammara.com/articles/accesspictureole.html

I agree it is probably possible to get it to work without purchasing a third party product. There are free solutions. The key is that it does require additional software.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter-4-10 View Post
    And ... any way of fireproofing/setting in concrete these databases under Win10 updates and iffy "cleaners", or shall I go back to XP, where everything was fine for 15 years?
    My suggestions about using the third-party controls or upgrading to a newer version of office is the best solution I know to your above question about how to “fireproofing/setting in concrete” images working in Access.

I have been deploying Access based solutions since version 2.0 under Windows 3.1. These Access applications have been deployed to 1000's of workstations that I have no control over. I only send them my installer. That is why I had to go with a third-party solution starting with 2003. It has always worked after that switch. It is the best way I could find to "fireproofing/setting in concrete" that my application always worked.

It has been a long time since I worked much with Access 2003. I have not have any user running Office 2003 on Windows 10.

Office/Access 2003 no longer includes the MS Photo Editor software like with previous versions of Office/Access. If you have a previous version of Office or Access installed before you installed Access 2003 then it possibly still has MS Photo Editor installed. Or you may have also installed other software that is an OLE Server application that works with Access 2003.

Do you have a CD for Office 2000 or2002? You could use it to install the MS Photo Editor to see if that fixes the problem. That has work for me in the past.

Here are links I have that might help: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/imagehandling.htm

Stilling looking for a solution that will fix your issue.

Had it worked on Windows 10 in the past?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    My databases have run .jpgs fine for 15 years
    Assuming you are talking about access, then perhaps you have been using the image control, and the problems you are referring are for an OLE object.

There is a workaround for the OLE object (although I have not tried it) - choose Insert Object, then select the Create New button and then choose an image application like Photoshop. You can then open the appropriate .jpg file, copy and paste it into the new, blank file and then save the new file as a jpg and the picture then lives in the OLE field - but as a much larger BMP file.

I don't have 2003 anymore so have no means of checking whether is actually works, but if it does, be wary of the db bloating.

Windows 10 Access 2003
    Pardon the repeat ... when exactly the same problem first occurred two weeks ago, a System Restore cured it. So, this novice is hoping for a quick repair, not iffy $99, or reworking of 5,000 images. Perhaps reinstall Access?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I'm a bit confused.

you said originally

Before that failure, I'd been working on only one database, doing very ordinary non-image related stuff
    which implies you have not worked with images before.

Then you said

My databases have run .jpgs fine for 15 years.
    It is a fact that you cannot store jpg's in 2003 ole objects, but you can use them in image controls. So perhaps you should clarify what exactly you did before that did work and what you are doing now. Maybe 15 years ago you got a free facility similar to the ones suggested by Boyd and they are not stable in the win 10 64 bit environment, maybe you have a missing library?

By all means, try another system restore, reinstall access, go back to XP, give MS a call, try on another computer, google for an answer from someone who has experienced your problem.

Sorry I can't be more help, good luck with finding a solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.