JamesDeckert is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Back End on Internet

What options are there for putting a back end on the internet (or accessible from the internet)? And what are pros/cons? This is for a small company which would like to get access to the BE from home and the office.
    ftp?
    sharepoint?

I already have an ftp mapped (on Godaddy), but when attempting to link the back end tables using the linked table manager, I get, "Not a valid file name."
    If I try to set the ftp as a trusted location (I checked "Allow trusted locations on my network (not recommended), I get, "The path you have entered cannot be used as a Trusted Location for security reasons. Choose another location or a specific folder."

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    you cannot link directly to any db on the web from Access (or any client based application), you need to go through API's, so the ftp route won't work.

You could use sharepoint, or you can investigate using something like Citrix/Terminal Server. Also Azure.

Another option is something like Teamviewer or Jump which might be suitable for your needs.

You can also investigate using Dropbox, but this is only really suitable when only one user is using the system at a time.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks Ajax,
    When doing research I ran across people talking about the ftp method, so thought maybe it was possible.
    The company I'm working with has teamviewer and dropbox. I'm not familiar with teamviewer or sharepoint, is there anything that would help me decide which path to take?
    Would teamviewer just look like another folder on your HD that you can set your linked tables to in Access? How would sharepoint be different?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    teamviewer is like a one to one terminal server - I use it to connect to client computers to provide support. go to their website to find out more or ask your company for a demonstation.

is there anything that would help me decide which path to take?
    not that I can provide, it depends on actual requirements and budget

I avoid sharepoint, it is probably better now but I tried using it in the early days with little success which put me off.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Beginning with Office 2013 you can split an Access db and put the BE onto a 365 cloud account. Each user must have a 365 account. It is tricky and there is not a lot of documentation. But I have done it a few times and it does work. I believe one must have the small business 365 account at about $15/user/month. Because starting with Office 2013 being "365 Aware" - once logged in and set up - - then whenever a user opens the front end it auto links to the 365 back end and the user doesn't have to do anything. In this regard it is pretty slick.

Beyond this new offering - the only other viable choice is remote connect to a common server; this comes in a lot of flavors today - TeamViewer, Remote Desktop, VPN, GoToMyPC, Terminal Services, etc. But in all cases the location that is running the actual database one must have a front end file for each simultaneous user. The front end does not sit on the remote user's location - it is co-located with the back end and linked to the back end. The remote user gets connected to the front end and views/operates it. But if there is more than 1 remote user they cannot share the same front end at the same time. There must be made one for each. VPN/GoToMyPC type services are a link to the whole PC/Server meaning that it is not limited to just an Access app - one can get to all files/apps which is either good or bad depending on the situation. While Remote Desktop and similar can be limited to a specific application file.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You might want to read this.
    http://www.kallal.ca/Wan/Wans.html

Kind of old (Aug 2003) but seems to be still valid info.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    thanks NTC and Steve.
    I didn't even think about the 365 account (onedrive). I threw the back end out there and it loaded fine.
    So far the DB is very small, and I think it'll stay very small, so bandwidth may not be an issue.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I found out I have access to the onedrive even if I don't have access to the internet, so this data is cached.
    Therefore, I don't know what onedrive is going to want to do if two people make changes to different records in the DB at the same time.
    It must be copying the whole db to the server, not updating individual records on the server, so I'm thinking this option isn't workable.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I don't believe simply putting a back end file on one drive works (or dropbox) Beginning with Access 2013 one can split a non-split database and put the tables onto one's 365 cloud account...It must be the version that comes with sharepoint - I believe that is the small business version....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.