jmitchelldueck is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Navigating between Forms

Hi,

I'm looking for a user-friendly way to navigate between the various forms I have in my database. I discovered the Navigation Form offered by 2010, but since it is wizard-like, I would prefer to stay away from it and allow myself to create what I need.

Another thought was to create buttons on every form linking to the others and closing on click, but that does not seem very effective to me. Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks,
    jmd

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    You could utilize switchboard manager, or create something similar. Main page with links like Data Entry, Run a Report, View Data, etc.

A little more information on what your db is for would help to figure out what is the best approach for you.

It's to keep track of all the people my company employs, and the different contracts each employee has (often more than one). Currently I have an employee table, contracts table, a new employee form, edit employee form, new contract form, and edit contract form. I eventually also want to integrate a way to track the contract signature sign-off process because it's quite extensive.

I would implement Switchboard style navigation. You can do this via the switchboard manager (it is a wizard and does most of the work for you). Or you can hard code this navigation. If you are not familiar with vba code then stick with the switchboard mgr.

I would do like a Main Page with buttons:
    >Employee (click and goes to another page, options below)
    >Enter a new employee (new emp form)
    >Edit employee information (edit emp form)
    >Contracts (clic, goes to another page, options below)
    >New Contract (new cont form)
    >Edit Existing Contract (edit cont form)

Switchboard mgr will help you set it up. Or if you are looking to code your own navigation then we can help you do that instead.

What is all included in your signature sign off process?

I'll give the Switchboard manager a try, and see how I like it. Otherwise I may need to do some coding.

The sign off process is about 20 different tasks that need to be completed, for the most part, sequentially. So I was thinking I would have a field with the contractID, and then each task to be completed would have its own field to record the date completed. Ideally, I would like to have a Yes/No box for the end user to click if a task is completed, and then the date/time is auto populated on the change. Would I need to create two fields per task, one a Yes/No box and the other a Date/Time? Or is there a way to accomplish this in one field?

Thanks.

Wouldn't be able to do yes/no and date in one field, unless you took an empty date/time field to mean the task hasn't been completed yet. You could still have checkboxes in the form (would not be bound to anything), simply for the user's ease and have a date autofill on change to a textbox bound to your date/time field.
    Perhaps something like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	21411

Hi Nick,

Depending on the type of contract I am working with, the tasks I need to complete will change. eg I will have tasklist 1 which contains tasks: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3,..., 1.n; tasklist 2 which contains tasks: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3,..., 2.n and so on. My first plan is to create a table that has the following fields:

trackingID
    type
    contractID
    task 1.1
    task 1.2
    task 1.n
    task 2.1
    task 2.n
    task 5.n

And use 5 separate queries, each referencing the above table and filtering based on the type, for each task list which I would use to build my user forms. Do you foresee any problems with this method, or is there a better way I could do it?

Thanks for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.