RhinoCan is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Access trial version?

I'm trying to help a friend with something but I'm afraid I need some help from people with more expertise in Office than I have.

My friend wants to install a free trial of Access 2013 on her Windows 7 desktop machine so that she can learn Access since some of the jobs for which she's applying want Access knowledge.

Normally, I'd simply install the Office 30 day trial for her but she has a copy of Office 2010 Student Home and Office which she paid for. It includes a license key. Access is *not* installed from this bundle. Neither of us is sure if Access was never part of that bundle or whether it cost extra to have Access and she was pretty sure she'd never use it so she declined to spend the extra money on it. Whatever the reason, she does not have Access from the bundle.

I see two ways forward here but I'm not sure if there would be problems with either approach.

1. We could install Access 2010 from that bundle if it's still possible.
    2. We could install the Office 2013 30 day trial.

Our concern is that either approach may clobber existing work that she has, particular Word documents and Excel spreadsheets.

Would EITHER of these approaches endanger any of the documents or spreadsheets she already has? Or does Microsoft compartmentalize each of the programs in Office so that they don't interfere with one another? I have very little knowledge of Office so I don't want to make any assumptions that turn out to be wrong.

Also, does anyone know whether Access 2013 is very different from Access 2010? I'm guessing that if she had reasonably fluency with Access 2010, getting used to Access 2013 would be no big deal, right?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Installing software should not have any impact on document or spreadsheet files. But if you want to play it safe, copy them.

The Access application environment did not change much from 2010 to 2013 - not like the change from 2003 to 2007. However, 2013 does eliminate some functionality.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    according to the advertising Office 2010 Student Home and Office does not have access.

From scratch 30 days is not a lot of time to get a strong understanding of access, so recommend your friend has a clear objective in mind to focus on before downloading the trial, also find the relevant lessons/youtube examples etc which she thinks will be useful.

Only other point about Access 2013 and I'm not sure it is matters, but recommend she gets the same 'bit' (32 or 64) as her existing office implementation

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Home and Business does not include Access. You would need Pro. For the price, I would just buy 2013 pro rather than 2010 Pro. Here is an example ...
    http://www.royaldiscount.com/Office+...wnload%29.html

A while back I was looking into purchasing Office 2010 for several workstations. I ended up buying 2013 for everyone. It seems this is still the feasible thing to do. Also, there is no longer a separate download (DVD) for 32 bit or 64 bit. You can choose which version to install via the options. IIRC correctly, the default is 32 bit. I recommend installing it as 32 bit.

As for downloading a trial, I would not recommend doing that. First, you will probably only be able to find a download for 2013. Moving to 2013 and then back to 2010 does not sound too good. I suppose there will not be any issues with Excel or Word docs but there may be for Outlook. Also, your computer's registry will have new keys for the 2013 version and there could be some ill affects down the road because of this. It does not always cause problems but sometimes you have to go through some crazy steps to get things in working order.

If you managed to find a copy of 2010 Pro ...

You would have to replace your Home and Business install with Pro. Then, when the trial period ends, you would have to uninstall Pro to reinstall Home and Business. Then, you would have to re-activate your Home and Business version. If you are willing to do all of that, then go for it. Seems like a big hassle. I hate setting up Outlook, for instance.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.