Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Error in Ceil Inn tutorial

I believe that there is an error in the Ceil Inn tutorial shown here.

http://www.functionx.com/access/appl...ns/ceilinn.htm

The statement

that has one program code:

CREATE TABLE Occupancies
    (
    OccupancyNumber Counter(100001, 1) not null
    );

Then execute it and create Occupancies table and then not save the source seems wrong. It will create the table and not
    save it that is fine.

Then after that, you start working on the next table: Payments. Which actually has not been created yet. You ignore Occupancies.

It just seems like an error. You create occupancies and you should work on it not ignore it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean Occupancy table is ignored - instructions use it in form and much farther down I think the form is referenced.

Maybe you should just finish the tutorial.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You should use a MAKE table query using the query builder instead of code.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP

I have finished the tutorial

I have finished the tutorial, completed that yesterday. The result just does not make sense.

That is the reason for this posting.

1. You create a payments table late in the tutorial, but you use a payments table early in

the tutorial. You use it before you create it! This makes no sense.

2. Also, why place the code snippet

CREATE TABLE Occupancies
    (
    OccupancyNumber Counter(10001, 1) not null
    );

Where it is just to create a table, discard the code, and ignore the Occupancies
    table?

I am at the part where one creates the relationships the picture is now shown

There is not a DateOccupied in the tutorial picture, but there is one in the below picture.
    So what do I do?

Secondly, the payments table is completely messed up. What is says to do in the Ceil Inn tutorial
    and what it shows in the picture above are two different things.

I think the most logical approach is an explanation of why you use the payments table before
    you have even created it. That would answer a lot of things.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please note I have had courses in databases at the University of Michigan taught by the same
    professor that taught Codd. But I have never used MS Access until now.

I just think that there a some holes in the Ceil Inn tutorial and some plain old typos.

I am hoping that you can straighten them out.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ceilinn1.gif  

June7 is offline VIP
    Again, as far as I can tell the Occupancy table is not ignored.
    Where is Payments table used before creating?

To properly evaluate the tutorial and answer your questions, I would have to actually do the tutorial - not really interested in that.

However, I am confused by the instructions for creating Payments table. Immediately after creating it says to open Occupancies (should that be Payments) and add fields.

No tutorial is perfect. The question is, have you gotten enough out of it and should move on to another? Do you intend to use this db in some practical application?

Check out http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    In the Ceil Inn tutorial right after it has one write this code:

CREATE TABLE Occupancies
    (
    OccupancyNumber Counter(10001, 1) not null
    );

It says to close the query window, say no when asked if you want to save,

then in the Navigation pane, right click Payments and click design view.

At this point here is no Payments (in tables or forms) to right-click. It simply is not there.

So in order to continue one must create a temporary Payments table and then continue.

That can lead to a lot of errors.

So what is this -an error?

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    Sounds like another typo. Should have said "click Occupancies" - just as when it says to "click Occupancies" should have said "click Payments".

Recognize and work around the typos or move on to another tutorial.

I once studied a calculus book that was full of typos, some critical to understanding concepts. I recognized them, finished the book, and started another one.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I think that you are right. That would be obvious to someone who works in Access all the time,
    but not so obvious to a some just starting out.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Okay, I now have a Payments table that looks very similar to an Occupancy table. I would like to make to exactly the same as a
    the Occupancy table. But, I do not want to start completely over. Thus, how do I get OccupancyNumber into my payments table
    (using the aforementioned code) so I can save myself a lot of time. I will also have to rename the table, but that is easy.

I have discarded the code so that must be done again. I hope little else needs to be done.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    Not sure what you want. Why use code? Maybe just open table in design view and create the new field?

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I want to convert what I call a Payments Table into an Occupancy Table. It is the same except for the
    OccupancyNumber record (at the top) which I assumed was created by the previous code you know the

CREATE TABLE Occupancies .....

I want that in my Payments table, but I do not want to start over creating the table. That would not be good.

So how do I get that in to my Payments Table which I will rename Occupancies once it is all set up?

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    Open table in Design View - edit as you want.

The tutorial already instructs to open tables in design view and create fields. This is no different.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    That will work of course. But I need to start the table with OccupancyNumber. I cannot just type OccupancyNumber as the first field; it must be created with the
    aforementioned code snippet. That starts (creates) a new table and thus I must redo all of the labels and text boxes on this new table. BOO! BOO! BOO!

Why can I not just somehow use the code in CREATE TABLE and have it put in the existing and then do what you say in the last post.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't understand. Table is already created so how can CREATE TABLE code apply? Sorry, you are going to have to modify table properties regardless of whether or not rebuild it from scratch.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    The Payments Table that I have is the same as the Occupancies Table in the Ceil Inn tutorial. The Occupancies Table is created by the following code.

CREATE TABLE Occupancies
    (
    OccupancyNumber Counter(100001, 1) not null

);

That creates the Occupancies table and give it the first entry Field Name as shown below

Field Name Caption
    OccupancyNumber Occupancy Number

Now my Occupancies Table (which used to be my old Payments Table) has everything, but the OccupancyNumber as the first field, again that field is missing in my old Occupancy Table.

In order to put it in what must I do? The only thing that I see is to start over creating a new Occupancy Table with only the OccupancyNumber in the
    first field. Then from there add all of the text boxes and labels from my old, but incomplete Occupancy Table. That will work, but it is an awful waste of time
    especially when considering that I have a Table now with everything in it, but the OccuapancyNumber in the first field. So why start over if there isn't there an easier way?

Why not a way to get OccupancyNumber into my table that does not have it and save time. I think this is a better idea than starting over to create a new and complete Occupancy
    Table.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
    Last edited by Lou_Reed; 04-16-2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: correctio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.