RJoshi is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Error: Couldn't save; currently locked. Multi-user access database-not saving record.

The database has one table, 5-6 different forms, and 3-4 queries. There are NO memo fields in the database. Forms are used by my data entry people to enter information that feeds into the one table. (Forms are the only way I can have data entry personnel enter information because there are a lot of fields.) The database is NOT a split database (I will work on splitting it soon), has shared access, no locks, and open database with record-level box checked.
    Here is my problem: When more than one person tries to enter data, someone (it is never the same person) gets the error: Currently locked; couldn't save. One time the error has also been"Error 3218: Could not update; currently locked." Currently, I can only have one person enter data, which is slowing our process. Very frustrating. What should I do? Thank you for your help in advance.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Split the database ASAP. Multiple users using the same DB that is not split is a known cause of corruption. (You DO have current backups,right?) Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But it will happen!

Is the default open mode Shared or Exclusive?

Forms are the only way I can have data entry personnel enter information because there are a lot of fields.)
    It also sounds like you need to review your table structure. Sounds like the table is set up like an Excel spreadsheet.

Forms are the ONLY way data should be entered.

RJoshi is offline Novice
    Thank you for the input. Default mode is shared and yes, I do have back-ups. Splitting is going to take a bit of time..long story. Is there another way to not have this problem currently? Before I came into this position, multiple personnel were able to enter data in another database (same set-up) without this error showing all the time.

Windows XP Access 2000
    What has changed in the database? Maybe compare the settings from a backup from a year ago to the current settings???

Do you regularly do a "Compact and Repair"?

Splitting a dB with 1 table should only take about 5 minutes. You could take a copy of a current backup (or the real deal) and split it as a test.

Make 2 copies. Rename one copy "TestFE". Name the other "TestBE".
    In "TestBE", delete all objects except the table.
    Do a "Compact and Repair"
    Move "TestBE" to a shared folder where everyone has R/W privileges.

In "TestFE", delete only the table.
    Do a "Compact and Repair"
    Go to the Linked Table Manager and navigate to the folder where "TestBE" is located.
    Link to the table.

Put a copy (NOT a shortcut) of "TestFE" on a couple of employees computers. You might have to set trusted locations.
    Have 2 or 3 people try entering data at the same time....

Remember this is a TEST database. Doesn't matter if the data is valid or not.
    The point is to see if 2 or more people can enter data at the same time.

In a previous job, we had an non split A2000 dB on a server (I didn't create it) that around 10 people has access to. Only one person could enter data at a time; other people could look a the forms and/or print reports.
    Whoever was the first in the dB could add/edit data - a real pain when that person walked away without closing the dB.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else will have an idea......

RJoshi is offline Novice
    Yes, I do Compact and Repair regularly. I have also assured that people are not using desktop shortcuts.Thank you for your input.

RJoshi is offline Novice
    I split the database too, still have the same problem. Does not let more than one person to use forms to enter information. (

Windows XP Access 2000
    I'm stumped.... Something had to change in the settings.

You could post your dB for analysis. Doesn't need the true data... maybe a couple of dummy records as examples.
    What form(s) is the error happening on?

RJoshi is offline Novice
    Okay, I made a small boo boo. I did not put the FE on everybody's local computer-we were using the shared FE. I think I got it now, though.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed. I will find out on Monday (for sure) if it is going to work the way I want it to work. My data entry personnel have left for the day so I am running in between offices to see if this works Very exciting!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.