ZipDoc is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Report TextBox printing ID Number, not text

Ok, this is probably something really simple, but it's driving me to drink (more). I have a report based on a simple query that lists a lectures based on overall subject topics. I would like to also list the course section within which the lecture is given:

Overall Subject Heading
    Section Title
    Lecture Title
    When I run the query, it's perfect; everything displays the way it should. However, when I run the report, the Section Title displays as a number (I assume the ID). At first I found the field in the main table for Section Title was set to number. Changed it to text, no effect.

What am I overlooking!? Thanks in advance.

Zipdoc

llkhoutx is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Check your report recordsource, it probably imcludes if ID, not the name.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Any chance you might be using Lookup Fields?

ZipDoc is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, I am using lookup fields within the original table. I have read that this is not necessarily the best, but I thought the idea behind these drop down lists was to maintain data integrity. Nonetheless, I have changed these lookup fields back to a textbox. The form made for data entry has kept the drop down.

I am still left with the IDnumber in the report, not the section name. When I add the appropriate table to the query that has the section list, I get the "ambiguous outer join" error. I had used a similar technique on other queries and reports, and never had run into any problem. This is the SQL statement if it helps:

SELECT tblMainLectureList.CourseSection, tblNBMEList.NBMELabel, tblMainLectureList.LectureDate, tblMainLectureList.FacultyLastName, tblMainLectureList.LectureTitle, qryFullNBMEList.Class1, qryFullNBMEList.Class2, qryFullNBMEList.Class3, qryFullNBMEList.Class4
    FROM tblSectionList INNER JOIN (tblMainLectureList RIGHT JOIN (qryFullNBMEList INNER JOIN (tblNBMEList LEFT JOIN tblNBMETag ON tblNBMEList.NBMELabelID = tblNBMETag.NBME_Classification) ON qryFullNBMEList.NBMELabel = tblNBMEList.NBMELabel) ON tblMainLectureList.LectureID = tblNBMETag.LectureID) ON tblSectionList.SectionID = tblMainLectureList.CourseSection;

Thanks in advance, and perhaps I should repost in the queries forum? I should note that the query looked fine in datasheet view. Of course, now that I have changed the lookup fields, the query displays the ID number as well. Sorry to be so dense.

Zipdoc

Windows 7 Access 2007
    All that Lookup Fields in tables accomplish is putting the ComboBox on your form (where it belongs and can easily be done with the cbo wizard) and then basically "hide" what is really in the table most of the time. In other words it just confuses the programmer. As for the query, I would use the query builder and add the appropriate table and then pull the name from the other table instead of the current field you are pulling for the Section Title.

ZipDoc is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you for your speedy reply and your patience. I removed the lookups, and rebuilt the query. It runs fine (though I have not yet tried to use the report). I want the query to list ALL the subject headings, including those that do not have any Section or Lectures associated with them. This is where I continue to get my SQL error.
    Zipdoc

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Are you talking about the "ambiguous outer join" error? If so then rebuild the query one table at a time with the Query Builder until youn get the error again. That should tell you what is causing the error.

ZipDoc is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks, RuralGuy. I'll rebuild and try and narrow down the issue and repost if I run into a snag.
    Cheers,
    Zipdoc

Windows 7 Access 2007
    We'll keep an eye out for ya!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.