shedwyn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question How to stop Duplicate Parameter Request going from Print Preview to Print in Report

I set up a query which requires the user to enter a report beginning date and a report ending date in order to run the report. Fine, works great.

I developed a report based on this query, therefore, when the user clicks the button to run this report (which generates the report in Print Preview) s/he is asked for those parameter values. Fine, works great. Users do not mind the parameter query.

HOWEVER, when the user attempts to print this report they are AGAIN asked for the same parameter value. Not fine. Users do not like this.

The users want to SEE the report electronically before wasting their paper and ink to print it, so I cannot simply change the command button to send the report directly to print.

So, is there any way to change this so they are asked only the one time for the parameter? I am asking this just in case, although, at my level (advanced beginner?) I sort of assume I am hosed and will either have to have two sets of command buttons (one to preview the report and one to print - thus giving the end user a choice to simply roll the dice and print without viewing) or spend another week trying to find some mysterious Visual Basic code that will accomplish the same thing much more elegantly.

And...in case you are wondering why entering dates 2x is so annoying - there are a total of 9 reports that have now been combined into another unbound report - each report based on a different query and at least 4 of these each ask for dates, so the end user is ALREADY being asked to enter the same dates multiple times. And one report includes static data from a previous report which I have set up to ask the user to enter this data manually (so that report, FYI, has a total of NINETEEN (19) dialogue boxes) because the alternative has been that the user inputs the data manually, anyway, into an Excel spreadsheet he created. At least my way about 50% of the data is populated automatically with only the 19 dialogue boxes filling in the rest.

I have since created a command button that exports to .pdf and opens that file automatically (so the parameter values are asked only 1 time), but I'm not sure that is going to fly as a "solution" to this problem. Like I said, I am not an expert and typically utilize the tools available easily in Access or by cutting and pasting code borrowed from elsewhere. So, suggestions and assistance are welcome.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Why not collect the parameters with a form and then reference the form for them rather than putting them in the query (which is run again for the print as you discovered).

How might this work? Would the report be based on the form? So...I'm interested in your suggestion, but do not really understand how it would work. The parameter changes each time the report is run - they are basically monthly reports. Not every report requests or requires a data parameter. It may just be that I am in tunnel vision looking at what I already have.

Basically, the end user presently has a Navigation Form with buttons that launch the main data entry form, and each individual report as well as the report that is a conglomeration.

I found some step by step instructions that involve macros and modules and creating a form to enter the dates HOWEVER the instructions are for Access 2007...and I am in Access 2010, which is different. It keeps trying to tell me to name a bunch of macros separately, but I can only name a macro when I save so...although I like the form idea, I still do not know how to make it work. I'll keep cracking at it, but with time constraints (I am a temp at a company and they wanted this done by Friday) I think there is no work around for me at this time. I'll keep checking this thread, though, in case someone can help!

Can you create a form that has the controls that can be used for the arguments?

I finally got the Google search right and found the exact solution I needed. I had no idea it was so simple to create a form for these parameter values. My issue is now resolved.

Excellent! Thanks for posting back with your success and solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.