bjd1020 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

New-and need help as well as advice

I am fairly new to access and would like to ask a few questions. I have been going through several free online tutorials and have been fairly successful at designing the database, at least I know what I want it to do, however I think I have hit a wall now that I am at the programming level.

Basically what the database is for is to track jobs as they move through our division. It will also track the hours in which each process takes. I would like the user to access the database using a menu. When the employees access the menu they will need to search for the job record by submitting the job number into the empty field and hitting the find button on the form. That will bring up the record and they can update the record, when done they would hit the submit button and the table would be updated and the form record would close.

The file is too large or I would attach it. I could send what I have so far if it would help....I would just need an email.

Also I ordered a book for training purposes and would like to know if it’s recommended. "Access 2007: The missing Manual:

Thanks Bryan D.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Here is one method to filter form recordset http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

I don't really like the query parameter method. Other code methods are available to filter records on an open form.

I prefer to use WHERE CONDITION of OpenForm (or OpenReport) to open form or report filtered to specific records that meet criteria. Example:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "form name", , , "ID=" & Me.ID

Did you make copy, delete data (leave a few records for testing), run Compact & Repair, zip file (2mb size allowed)?
    Last edited by June7; 11-06-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks June,

I will have a look at the method you sent, in the mean time I have attached the file.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Attachment 9875

June7 is online now VIP
    The db is split design. You did not provide the backend so a bit hard to evaluate. I see a link to only one table. From what I can see on form in design view, appears to be some multi-value fields (Drawing Number/s and Program Number/s) - I NEVER use multi-value fields.

Advise no spaces, special characters, punctuation (underscore is exception) in any names, nor reserved words as names. You have about the longest field names I have ever seen ([Time Prototype was recieved from Machine Shop]) - misspelled 'received'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the spell check June.

I have attached the back end. Id really like a way to have a time stamp button for each stage of production that the employee could just pull the record, hit the button for that production status category and it would automaitcally add the time and date in the form. Then they could hit the submit button and the form would populate the table. Then I could shortent the fields a bit.

Attachment 9901

June7 is online now VIP
    I use only VBA (not macros) so code in a button Click event could be:

Me![Date FFF was received] = Date()
    Me![Time FFF was received] = Time()

Or if you had a single field for date/time instead of splitting between two fields:
    Me![DateTime FFF was received] = Now()

This approach would require a button next to each field.

Have you tried the filter technique in referenced tutorial?

E. Rumsey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi Bryan,

The database at my workplace (also designed by non-professionals and used by people who aren't necessarily technically-minded) uses something called a 'switchboard' for database navigation. A description can be found here: http://www.techonthenet.com/access/switchboard/

It's not exactly what you described in your first post, but it's pretty similar and I think your coworkers would find it pretty user-friendly.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I use only VBA (not macros) so code in a button Click event could be:

Me![Date FFF was received] = Date()
    Me![Time FFF was received] = Time()

Or if you had a single field for date/time instead of splitting between two fields:
    Me![DateTime FFF was received] = Now()

This approach would require a button next to each field.

Have you tried the filter technique in referenced tutorial?
    Thanks June,

I have not tried the filter techniques yet, took a quick look and will complete the tutorial when I have time. I suppose Id like to solve one element at a time. I tried to use the VBA to create the macro for the date time stamp button for FFF. When I go to the form and hit the button nothing happens. Can you have a look at it and provide some feedback(See attachmentAttachment 10039Once I have that one corrected I can recreate the macro for the rest of the time stamp buttons.

Thanks again.

Bryan D.

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't use macros, only VBA (with one exception).

I don't understand why button macro is calling Autoexec macro. As I understand, Autoexec macro is intended to run automatically when db opens. Why would you call it from button click?

If you want the button to run VBA procedure then need to select [Event Procedure] in the event property.

You don't have a field named [DateTime FFF was received] so the code will fail.

Command86 click event code should be:
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.