asaini is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

How to import word and PDF files into Access

Hi,

I am new to this forum.

Following is my query:

I have two documents one in word and another in PDF format.

I want to import word document into an access as a Form. This word document has fields: Name, address, date of birth etc.

When I enter the data in this form I want it to be saved to access database (so that data can be accessed as and when required)

Next step..

I want to add .PDF into access as form as well. This also has fields such as Name, Address, date of birth etc (same as above). I want these fields to be automatically populated with data from first form.

Please suggest how should I go about this. I am Systems Admin by profession, not very good at programming.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Adarsh

Ryan is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Lightbulb How to Import

Import the Word Document to Excel, then import the Excel Document.

How To Convert Word to Excel:

If you want to import a text file into Excel and have that data be in multiple columns once it's in Excel, it must be either fixed width or delimited. Fixed-width means that new columns occur at the same place on every line. That's not very useful for most information. Delimited means that some ASCII character occurs wherever you want a column break. Usually this character is a tab. If you had address information and wanted the Street, City, and State in different columns, your data would have to look like:
    Street {tab} City {tab} State
    If you have your data in a table in Word, you're going to want to convert it to text. When you select Table > Convert > Table to Text, Word will ask you what it should separate the text with. In other word, it wants to know what it should use as the delimiter. You can use any ASCII character, but I would suggest a tab or some other character that isn't use in your data. Whatever you choose, just remember to tell Excel to use it as the delimiter when it imports your data. If you data in Word and is *not* in a table, just save it as Text Only With Line Breaks (.txt) so that every line goes in a different row (assuming that's what you want). When in Excel, you can use Text to Columns to parse it into different columns.

As for as the PDF, there are programs out there like "able2extract" that has free trials for 7 days. You can use that to convert the PDF to excel.

Remember, after its Excel, you can simply import it.

Hope this helps!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.