Jaffacaique is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Slow on 2010 but fast on 2007?

I have recently created a database on Access 2010, I then created a form to allow ease of entry for new data. Functionally the database on 2010 is working perfectly. however one problem I have noticed is when I use the form navigate through previous records. If I click the mouse several times in sucession it appears as though there is a lag. After I have clicked the mouse several times and stopped you can see it slowly going through the records.

When I use the same database on Access 2007 this problem does not exist. I cannot understand why this happens on a newer version of Access.

Has anyone one else experienced the same problem? if so what did you do to solve it? The database will be used on Acess 2007 but I would still like to know what the cause of the slow down is and how to prevent it.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The defaults may not be set the same. Be sure Name "AutoCorrect" is turned off and then here are some other elements to check: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

Hi RuralGuy

I had seen this tip already and checked it out but found that it was not the cause of the problem. I think I have now found the cause of the slowdown myself now though, but the not reason for it... When If I click the mouse several times in succession when the first field is highlighted the lag is very obvious, this field contains the 'Title Name' which can be up to 200 characters in length. However when I highlight a different field 'Hours' where the maximum character length is '5' there is NO lag at all. I have tried the different settings under ‘Behaviour entering field’. But they do not have any affect.

After trying this I can only conclude that the slowdown has something to do with the size of the field that is selected or active when clicking through the forms. Knowing this has helped to understand the problem a bit more but not solve it as the ‘Title’ Field must always be the first active field.
    Do you have any other ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

Did you also look at the link I supplied and make any of those changes?

I did look at the link and most obvious solution appears to be the one below. When I followed link I would not have a clue as where this could be changed in my database as I have only being using options available from the front interface on Access 2010, not the programming side which this seems to be. If the information below could be achieved by using the available user interface options in Access then I would try it. Can it be done this way or am I getting out of my depth now?

Speed up your Access Forms by loading the form, subform, combobox and listbox record sources at run-time
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Me.RecordSource =
    "qryLargeTable"
    Me.txtSomeField.RowSource = _
    "SELECT SomeField "
    & _
    "FROM qryLargeTable " & _
    "GROUP BY SomeField " &
    _
    "ORDER BY SomeField;"
    End Sub

That would require some coding and should not be necessary in your case. How about the SubDatasheet setting of your tables?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.