237 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

combo box posting to table

Hi, I'm very new to Access. I searched the help website and forum but I don't really know what keywords are appropriate to find the solution to my problem. I'm using Access 2007.

I have two tables, one with a list of accounts (ACC), the other to post data about the accounts (DATA). I created a form for DATA and a combo box to select the account it relates to.

In the DATA split form, the account name shows up correctly in the datasheet. But when I select the DATA table, the ID of the account name shows up instead. How do I get the table to look the same as the datasheet in the split form?

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

You may be making things more difficult than they need to be.

Your tables should store unique pieces of information. Google 'normalized database tables'. In other words, you have account information in one table and you really don't need to save it in the table again.
    Instead, use queries to combine the tables and information into what you need to see on forms and reports. This is really a more flexible arrangement.
    I'm inferring this from your evident angst in seeing a customer ID in the DATA table instead of the customer's name. I still have relapses with that sort of thing.

237 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It's true what you describe what I'm seeing that I don't want to see. But I'm sorry, I don't understand everything else you're saying.

Maybe it's because I don't know how to make use of queries, but because the original DATA table has ID number in place of account name, the resulting query still shows the ID number. The ID number shows as well when I create a report.

--

Actually, I just figured a way around it (or maybe it is the solution). I made the "account" field in the DATA table a lookup column showing only the account name. But the problem with the report remains. I used the report wizard to create a report grouped by account. What property should I edit or step should I take to make the name appear instead?

Windows XP Access 2007

You have to include all of the tables in the query which have relevant

Quote Originally Posted by 237 View Post
    It's true what you describe what I'm seeing that I don't want to see. But I'm sorry, I don't understand everything else you're saying.

Maybe it's because I don't know how to make use of queries, but because the original DATA table has ID number in place of account name, the resulting query still shows the ID number. The ID number shows as well when I create a report.

--

Actually, I just figured a way around it (or maybe it is the solution). I made the "account" field in the DATA table a lookup column showing only the account name. But the problem with the report remains. I used the report wizard to create a report grouped by account. What property should I edit or step should I take to make the name appear instead?

data. Have you established the relationships between the tables, i.e. the account ID shows in the data table? You should be able to view and set table relationships. Its part of (I think) 'Database Tools' in Access 2007. By including both tables, you can pick the appropriate fields for your forms and reports.

237 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Why would I want the account ID to show in the DATA table? I want the account name, which is already in the DATA table. But it appears as the ID in the report.

How should I build the relationship? By linking "account ID" in ACCOUNT to "account name" in DATA? or "account name" to "account name"?

Windows XP Access 2007

Could you post your database with a sample of data in it?

I believe you have 2 or maybe 3 issues to resolve, but I can not communicate well enough to sort them out. So rather than further confuse you, if you could put sample data in the tables, compact your database and post it, I'll take a look and see if I can be of help. I don't think you are seriously wrong, but say you haven't gotten comfortable with queries really misses the power of databases.

Quote Originally Posted by 237 View Post
    Why would I want the account ID to show in the DATA table? I want the account name, which is already in the DATA table. But it appears as the ID in the report.

How should I build the relationship? By linking "account ID" in ACCOUNT to "account name" in DATA? or "account name" to "account name"?
    To respond to your last post: I believe the ACC table should have information specific to an account, among which would be Account and and Account ID. I don't know what the DATA table contains, but if it were for example order information, you could have Account IDs for each order, linked by Account ID to the ACC table. In the database relationships, this would be a one-to-many situation. Thereafter, when you create a form or report, you use a query to assemble the pieces you really want, often by including more than one table in the query. You may omit unneeded fields from the display. The query would provide the Account name and the account Id would not necessarily have to be shown.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.