DMT Dave is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016

data type mismatch in criteria expression

Hi Guys, i am receiving data type mismatch in criteria expression, there is an invoice with paid ticked and an invoice with paid not ticked just to retrieve the answer

The paid field is a yes/no field and total is set to currency, i can't see why !!!

Code:
    Dim StartDate As Date, EndDate As DateDim ExpRecs As Integer, InvRecs As Integer
    Dim InvUnpaid As Currency, InvPaid As Currency, InvTotal As Currency
    Dim ExpUnpaid As Currency, ExpPaid As Currency, ExpTotal As Currency
    Dim InvPaidY As String, InvUnpaidN As String, ExpPaidY As String, ExpUnpaidN As String

StartDate = DateSerial(Me.cboYear, Me.cboMonth, 1)
    EndDate = DateSerial(Me.cboYear, Me.cboMonth + 1, 0)

Me.txtStartDate = StartDate
    Me.txtEndDate = EndDate

InvPaidY = "Yes"
    InvUnpaidN = "No"
    ExpPaidY = "Yes"
    ExpUnpaidN = "No"

ExpRecs = DCount("ReceiptNo", "tblExpenses", "[Date] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "#")
    InvRecs = DCount("InvoiceNumber", "tblInvoices", "[InvoiceDate] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "#")

InvTotal = DSum("Total", "tblInvoices", "[InvoiceDate] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "#")
    ExpTotal = DSum("Amount", "tblExpenses", "[Date] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "#")

InvPaid = DSum("Total", "tblInvoices", "[InvoiceDate] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "# And [Paid] = '" & InvPaidY & "'")
    InvUnpaid = DSum("Total", "tblInvoices", "[InvoiceDate] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "# And [Paid] = '" & InvUnpaidN & "'")

ExpPaid = DSum("Amount", "tblExpenses", "[Date] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "# And [Paid] = '" & ExpPaidY & "'")
    ExpUnpaid = DSum("Amount", "tblExpenses", "[Date] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "# And [Paid] = '" & ExpUnpaidN & "'")

Me.txtTotalInvoices = InvRecs
    Me.txtInvoicesPaid = InvPaidY
    Me.txtTotalInvoicesAmount = InvTotal
    Me.txtInvoicesUnpaid = InvUnpaidN

Me.txtTotalExpenses = ExpRecs
    Me.txtExpensesPaid = ExpPaidY
    Me.txtExpensesUnpaid = ExpUnpaidN
    Me.txtTotalExpensesAmount = ExpTotal

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes/No field is a number type (values of -1 or 0). Yes/No and True/False are intrinsic constants for -1/0. Don't use apostrophe delimiters.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The delimiters would be required if the table field was text. The variables in the code are defined as text and assigned text data types with values as "Yes" or "No". Likely the reason for the failure is because the underlying field is not text. In that case, the sql would work if using the correct data type, but any code that has to deal with the numbers -1 or 0 where the variable is text might also fail.

DMT Dave - I'm surprised that with your forum experience you didn't specify which line the error is raised on.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is online now VIP
    I tested and strings "Yes" and "No" were treated as booleans in the domain aggregate when apostrophe delimiters were eliminated.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I tested and strings "Yes" and "No" were treated as booleans in the domain aggregate when apostrophe delimiters were eliminated.
    Don't know what you're doing but this works on a text field
    SELECT tblYNtext.ID, tblYNtext.txtYesNo
    FROM tblYNtext WHERE (((tblYNtext.txtYesNo)="no"));
    and booleans never come into the picture. You must have missed some point about my post.
    I will try it in some sort of aggregate function, but I wasn't going down that road with my comments.
    Last edited by Micron; 11-29-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added comment
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

June7 is online now VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT Dave View Post
    … there is an invoice with paid ticked and an invoice with paid not ticked...
    The paid field is a yes/no field ...
    So I tested domain aggregate using Yes/No field with text value "Yes" because posted code uses DSum. I understood your points about text field needing delimiters and about possible failure with Yes/No field comparing to string variable. My point is it did not fail without delimiters.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I did some tests also. Got sql to work but not vba expression. During the process my pc screen died so that's all for now I guess.

DMT Dave is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Guys, sorry i did highlight the line in red but did edit it afterwards which maybe i forgot to highlight, all points taken, i will take string delimiters out and i think i have dome this in past where you just type a simple Yes or No at the end of the line ?

Kindest

June7 is online now VIP
    Correct, the string variables are really not necessary.
    Code:
    InvPaid = DSum("Total", "tblInvoices", "[InvoiceDate] Between #" & StartDate & "# And #" & EndDate & "# And [Paid] = Yes")

DMT Dave is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you so much all, i wll adapt tho that and thank you for your help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.