Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

@moke 123,
    Better??
    nope. needs blue highlighting.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, there can be 2 owners of a Niche, one for each space

Quote Originally Posted by Joelen View Post
    Yes, there can be 2 owners of a Niche, one for each space
    You may then need to treat each space as its own entity.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If your design is normalized, then you should be able to add walls, niches, spaces etc in future. Do not design for an exact number of anything. Things change, so allow for changes.
    Someone(s) may like your design/database and decide to use it at their church, or your church may add another columbarium or part thereof.

You may not need to allow for owner history, but it may not be a major design/flexibility issue to have.
    I've seen too many things that would never change, but do. Canadian provinces/territories for example.

Update: I think micron has laid out the proper tables. You should create a model, and test data with scenarios--vet the model, adjust as necessary. Make sure the model meets your needs before getting too deeply into loading records. Test/retest/confirm then move to physical database.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hmm, no comment from anyone regarding attached spreadsheet from post 24-ish?
    It should be conducive to the 1 columbarium, many walls, many niches per wall, 2 spaces per niche requirement. Since I've heard nothing regarding that from OP, when it comes to figuring out how to deal with inured who are not owners I've put my thinking cap aside for now.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Do I preload the Wall Table with all possible values, e.g., (wall)1,(niche)1,A,B; 1,2,A,B;......1,80,A,B....10,80,A,B? This would be 800 preloaded values. or do I leave it empty and let it be filled as people select the Wall ,Niche,Space(s)?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you're asking me:
    then no. In the spreadsheet, wall table has no niche field so you're not understanding. Also, I would not do anything with that until the inured issue is figured out. You might be able to better understand the how and why of such a setup if you researched db normalization. Every "entity" (table) has attributes (fields). A niche is an entity so it does not go into another entity table.

If you're not asking me, then I have no idea what design you decided on so you can ignore this post - except maybe for the normalization research suggestion.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Office 365
    @micron - I've updated my comments in #34 - I agree with tables, but would like OP to review/model/test.
    @Joelen -no don't preload until you've modelled and vetted. Research Normalization.
    You may get some ideas from this post.
    See the Database Planning and Design link in my signature for related articles and tutorials.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I agree with tables, but would like OP to review/model/test.
    Could you elaborate on how you do this? Perhaps you have a method or tool for this? Aside from pencil and paper, which in my mind doesn't prevent doing things that a db cannot do, I know of no other way than to create actual tables and experiment with some data. I'm curious to know how you do this.
    Thanks.

Windows 10 Office 365
    pencil and paper; strings on a wall, index cards on the table, chalk and blackboard, post-it notes on wall........

I was hoping the op would review normalization before anything.
    You can work from a database - no question, But for the new to database person, it's easy to fall in to spreadsheet mode, or non normalized tables and too deep into physical database before analysis of the business and options for resolution.

I strongly recommend this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary as a starting point. Learn and experience the process, then use it for your own database. Best use of 45 minutes when starting "database".
    Last edited by orange; 12-21-2021 at 04:03 PM.

If nothing else, we've all learned what a columbarium is.

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Another item. on the split screen data entry form I have the "Data Entry" event set to 'no' because it allows changes/updates to be made to a previously entered record, but when I close the form and reopen it later there remains the last data I entered. I need the form to be opened clear of showing any data in the fields. Is this possible? I know it will open to a clean form if the "data entry" is set to 'yes', but I need that 'no' function.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelen View Post
    I have 10 identical databases e.g, wall-1, wall-2...wall-10.
    @Joelen.... Would you post one of the dBs? (delete/change any sensitive data) I'm playing around with the design Micron has suggested...

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    how to post a db?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Do a "Compact and Repair", then compress it (Zip) and attach it to a post. See the "How to Attach Files" in the page header.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.