gabety is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

New user with question

Hello,

I have been reading forums and not found an answer to a question I have. Will Access allow you to put text in a field and expand the box as excell does when text would over fill the box?

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In a table, a text field has a length limit when the table is designed. maximum length for a normal text field is 255 characters. if you need more space, you need a memo field which can hold more than one billion charachters ( but you may not see all of them because a text box can deal with no more than 65536 charaters).

Maybe you were talking about showing text in a report or form, you can set "can grow" property to allow the text box grow to fit the text.

gabety is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The text is not lengthy. I cannot seem to find the "can grow" option.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Here it is.

gabety is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    My lack of knowledge of Access is hurting my ability to explain my problem. So let me try again.

In a table I have fields that are for text. Some lines would require more text to be entered than others. I can type in the text, the limit on characters is not a problem, displaying all is. In my table if I go to design view I cannot find the place your image shows. Is this because I am not using a text box? I wish for the text in the field to grow to allow all characters to be seen. Much like a box in excell could grow to accomodate varing amounts of characters.

Windows XP Access 2003
    my mistake.

you are viewing a table in datasheet view, aren't you?

you can double click on the right border of the header to resize the column to fit the maximum textsize, just like what we do in Excel. the different is, Access resize the column according to the maximum length of text within current showing scope. For example, row 100 to 130 are showing in the window, Access will resize to the max length of these 31 rows, no matter how long the text in row 80 or 150.

gabety is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    New problem. I want to share, if that is the correct term with other users. I want this database to be accessed and data added from different users. How do I make it happen? What I'm trying to accomplish is replace a excell spreadsheet that was shared.

Windows XP Access 2003
    you can set the option in your Access to open the database in share mode.
    Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> default open mode (set to share)

then many users can open the database concurrently.

gabety is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks alot. What a powerful program compared to excel! I just hope I have the time to learn more of it.

gabety is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    my mistake.

you are viewing a table in datasheet view, aren't you?

you can double click on the right border of the header to resize the column to fit the maximum textsize, just like what we do in Excel. the different is, Access resize the column according to the maximum length of text within current showing scope. For example, row 100 to 130 are showing in the window, Access will resize to the max length of these 31 rows, no matter how long the text in row 80 or 150.
    I'm still not getting this. I think the problem is my lack of explaining what I want to accomplish. So I'll try this.

I have this problem with text box. There are enough characters in the field but not the view, make sense? Such as below.

The text runs past the right border of field and is hid from view.

In Excell you can make the cell expand and the text wrap to show all in the view, like such.

Is it possible to make Access 2007 do the same?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.