Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    shiphtfour is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Thanks again for your help. I think I have everything pretty much set up. Now I have to go about making the forms for inputting all this data and the queries that go along with it. I have a feeling this is going to be even more difficult.

Windows 7 Access 2007

Ok, so here is the relational structure that I have settled on after all of your help. I decided against creating a separate StrainRelations table because I figured the new strain name will make it pretty obvious (strain1 x strain2) and I don't think I will ever have to call upon that information in a query. Instead I just put StrainID into tblMiceRelations as well. So, I wanted to make the form for inputting a new mating pair. At the top, I figured there would be a combo box with all the strains, you would choose the strain, and this would trigger a query of all eligible males from that strain which would be displayed in a subform below this combo box. Then you would select the male. Then the same thing for the female mate(s) below this. Finally, one more combo box listing strains which would assign what strain this mating pair is associated with and an "enter record" button to send all this into the appropriate tables. The only problem is I have no idea how to do this. Is there a tutorial that deals with creating a form similar to this that you might be able to point me in the direction of?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    You do not need to repeat the strainID in the MiceRelations table since it is already tied to the mouse via the StrainGenoID in the mouse table.

I figured there would be a combo box with all the strains, you would choose the strain, and this would trigger a query of all eligible males from that strain which would be displayed in a subform below this combo box. Then you would select the male. Then the same thing for the female mate(s) below this.
    Regarding the above, the best thing to do is enter some basic data using some real basic forms or you can enter the data directly into the tables. Then you will see what the queries are doing as you create them.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    You do not need to repeat the strainID in the MiceRelations table since it is already tied to the mouse via the StrainGenoID in the mouse table.
    I included StrainID in tblMiceRelations because the strain of the individual male and female mates will not always match the strain that they are mated to create. Therefore, if I run a query to find out how many mating pairs there are producing strain x, I need this field to retrieve that information.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    OK, you know your requirements better than I.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.