shiphtfour is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Recordset not updateable

I am having a problem with a network computer unable to update data in any linked tables. I recently separated a database into a frontend and backend, linking tables from the backend mdb files to the frontend mdb file. The problem is one of the computers on the network has read-only access to the frontend mdb file whereas a different computer on the network as well as the host computer have full access to the database. At first I thought the problem was read/write permissions for the computer on this network drive, but that is not the issue. I can add/delete/modify files on the drive from this computer. I am completely new to access, so please forgive my lack of knowledge. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    See if this link helps: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'm not running a query, only trying to type in a field of a linked table from the backend in the frontend database. I am also pretty sure that that the permissions are not read-only and the file attributes are not read-only. Is there anything else that might be causing this problem?

So you opened a linked table in the FrontEnd in Datasheet view and it will not let you change any of the fields, is that correct?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Yes, that is correct. This is on a network computer, but it has full read/write access to the drive and attempting the same thing on a different computer on the network does not have this problem.

Is the FrontEnd located on each user's PC?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    No, the frontend is on the same drive as the backend. I would have a separate frontend located on each user's pc, but the way the database is currently used wouldn't work like that. This database is used in a mouse breeding laboratory, and the computer that is showing read-only and cannot edit the tables is the computer used by the researches when they want to order mice. The go into the table of the strain they want, type their name next to each mouse they want to order, then rename the table with asterisks attached to let those working in back with the mice know that there is a new order from that strain. I realize that this is a horrible system for using the access database to do something like this, but fixing this would require redesigning the entire database (which I plan to do eventually, but for now, I was just hoping to get things working as is). Everything used to be in one database but I separated it into a frontend and backend so that the researchers could still order mice even if someone in back had the database open or vice-versa. Any ideas?

Ouch! What you are describing is a formula for corruption. The best link I know on Multi-User is here: http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/.../multiuser.htm

Windows 7 Access 2007
    This read-only problem is getting very frustrating. Even if I create a new front-end database on the network computer and save it on the drive of that computer, then link tables from the back-end on the network drive, I still get "recordset not updateable" and I cannot edit the tables at all. The only way I can get that computer to be able to edit the tables is if I have one database with no linked tables (no front-end and back-end---and this was only after setting the "run permissions" to "owner's" under options>tables/queries). The network computer has RWCD privileges on the drive the back-end is stored (I can create a text file; edit, save and rename it; and delete it). When I open the database on the network computer and go to database properties it does not say read-only. Record-locking is set to no locks, "open databases using record-level locking" is unchecked, "default open mode" is set to "shared"... I do not understand why I am unable to edit linked tables on this computer. Is there something I am missing?

With all of your descriptions so far it sure seems like some sort of windows permissions or group policy issue. On that I have little experience.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I am fairly positive that it is not windows permissions that is causing the problem (because I can create, edit, rename, and delete a text file in the same network directory as the back-end on the computer that is having issues). Is there a way to view or test group policies on the network or host computer? (I'm not really sure how they work either.)

Those permissions or policies can be very folder or directory specific.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    But if I am able to create, edit, rename, and delete a text file in the same folder that the backend mdb files are located with the network computer, shouldn't that mean there are no permission or policy restrictions? Thanks for your help RuralGuy.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphtfour View Post
    But if I am able to create, edit, rename, and delete a text file in the same folder that the backend mdb files are located with the network computer, shouldn't that mean there are no permission or policy restrictions? Thanks for your help RuralGuy.
    I would have to agree. So I'm back to square one. What the heck is going on here. I'll give it a little more thought.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.