rhoridge is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

All Buttons Stopped Working and...

I built a database in 2003 and have upgraded (one year ago) to 2007. I have improved this program over time and have not had any real issues. In the past week, I am having problems with my buttons (on forms that pull up other forms or reports.) They all stopped working. I can go in and re-do each one of them, but i was wondering if there is a reason. In particular, I have one button that opened a new form where the student ID in one table and the student ID in another table were the same. It used to pull up the new form with the student ID number showing, now it doesn't. I used the wizard and created the button over and over again and it would never work...so I figured out a temporary work around this. I wonder if I need to upgrade this program somehow since it was originally made with 2003 software? Any help appreciated.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If buttons suddenly stop working, I'd open the accdb or mdb (while holding down the shift key to bypass any startup coding), go to the coding window and then Debug->Compile the accdb/mdb. I'd expect you'd get some kind of error when compiling since 2007 seems more prone to stop all coding from working if there is an error in the code somewhere.

Typically I found you have problems such as you've stated when you have some users opening the mdb with MSAccess 2003 and other users opening that same mdb with MSAccess 2007. If you do have users opening the mdb with different MSAccess versions, make sure you keep backups handy! I found 2007 users opening the same mdb as 2003 users doesn't always play nicely together and the code can suddenly stop working.

Otherwise if compiling fails to work and all your users are on 2007, I'd consider upsizing the mdb to an accdb. (again, make backups! - it takes less than a couple of seconds to easily copy and then paste the mdb or accdb file and can save you hours and hours of re-work.)

If this fails, consider importing all objects into a new mdb or accdb: http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/impnew (and again, make sure to always COMPILE the code.)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.