Database

hi im very new to this. really need help. i have 4 tables which are A,B,C and D. all the tables have same field called "Item Name" and i want to link all the tables with a table called "Main" which contains a field named "Name". in "Name" should contain of data
    of A.ItemName, B.ItemName,C.ItemName and D.ItemName.

maximus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    let me get this clear your tables A,B,C,D do they contain data in the Field ItemName or do you want to access the data in the Name field in Table Main through this tables. e.g.

Main Table Name="Pencil"

Now do you want Pencil as an option in the ItemName in the Tables A,B,C,D
    if this is the case Link ItemName in all these tables to Name in the Main table using the lookup wizard creating a combo field. Note if you do this then only the data recorded in the Name field in the Main table will be available to you.

but if you want the information from the ItemsName in the 4 tables to be available in the Name field in the Main table I would like to suggest you to Build a seperate Item table I guess the requirement for 4 tables was due to some catagory factor. Follow this guideline

Create Table Item (Item_Id, Item_name,Catagory_id)
    Create Table Catagory(Catagory_Id, catagory_Name)

link Catagory_id in the Items table with the Catagory_id in the Catagory_table using the lookup up wizard.

Now link the Name field in your Main table to Iten_id in the Item table using the lookupwizard.

if you need help with transfering of data please let me know. Silverback_bats@yahoo.co.in

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.