Peter Murray is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Post Corrupt Table in Data Set View Access 2010

Trying to use Access 2010

Given a DB that has Access file format 2002/3. This DB runs great in 2003. This DB runs in 2007. This DB "kinda" dies in 2010. No changes to the DB have been made between Access versions.

More info:
    Step 1 -- Checking tables one by one -- using data sheet view --
    Step 2 -- Come to table --- click on datasheet view --- nothing happens --- screen starts to fade -- program not responding message -- shut down DB
    Step 3 -- Reopen DB go to same table -- only this time open in design view --- works --- switch to datasheet view --- works --- close table --- reopen in datasheet view --- loop to step 2.

I have looked at data -- it looks OK. In one table with this problem I removed a memo field and went through steps --- table worked fine -- AAHHH -- the menu field is corrupt (maybe) -- but who knows how -- go to next bad table and double check theory. Next table had no menu fields -- but still did not open.

I converted DB table to accdb type and tried again with no success.

Next courses of action.

Make blank table in 2010 (2003 format) with same field names as "corrupt " table and run apppend query to new blank table.

Make new database in 2010 and import tables

Split corrupt table three ways (Battleship salvo range finding):
    1 record, divide the rest. Try opening the one record table. If successful --- sounds like data corruption. Try opening the second table, try opening the third table. Isolate a record that is giving the problem.

Does anyone out there have a better answer?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    well - you don't mention having done the compact/repair feature..... so let's be sure that was tried.

you mention it opens but then acts strange - - which is an odd description - almost like some sort of verification/calculation/mask/default value isn't working right - - you might eyeball those parameters just to see if there is some bit of code action being triggered as one of these properties....

in general corruption involves forms - because that is where the code is. rarely do I read of raw tables involving corruption ; but it can happen.

is the db split? if not I would really recommend that; so that your tables are alone in a BE - and your forms/reports/mods all in the FE.

your first 2 courses are all reasonable to consider - after c/r and split.

if none work - repost more info and I'll supply a link to a recompile technique.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.