benjammin is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question lookups and data selection help

Hello,

I'm working on a small inventory database and it's been awhile since I've created a database so some things are not so clear. I have a table Equipment that is mostly based off of the Lookup Wizard linking to other tables such as Location and Stations. Locations is a table which has the general site location such as sitename: Green River location: Green River, UT. Stations is a "sub-table" with individual stations so I have a lookup field that refers to sitename in table Location and then there are stationnames (so i guess one sitename for many stationnames).

So,

sitename is linked to eachother in Location and Stations tables.

I guess that's just the background. I'm getting to my question, in my Equipment table I used the Lookup Wizard for location and stationname. However, when I choose the location, ie, Green River, it lists all the stationname data instead of data specific to the Green River sitename. How do make access know that when I choose the Green River location that I want it to only display Green River stations in the next lookup wizard/field. Does this make sense at all?

If this can be solved then that will make the rest of the design much easier as I have this problem for other tables, such as, when I choose EquipmentType (from the Equipment Type table) datalogger, it lists all the models of every piece of equipment I have (from the Equipment Models table) instead of just the models with the equipmenttype datalogger.

Hopefully this helps and isn't completely confusing...

Thanks

It appears that what you are trying to achieve are cascading combo boxes. Here is a link on how to do that in a form.

http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut10.htm

Alan

benjammin is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks! That's exactly how my tables are setup and what I want. Do I even need to use lookup tables then? Maybe I'm confused about the whole lookup tables idea and really I need to learn more about simple relationships...

Look at this site and scroll down to the section on combo boxes. It will teach you everthing you will need to know.

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm

Alan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.