eww is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Date function in Terminal Server

My company recently started testing the database I have devoloped for them over a Terminal Server environment. I've got the the Back End on a local network drive which can be accessed by the Terminal Server, and the Front Ends are dropped into an All Users folder to show up on each users desktop.

I've noticed a problem with certain date functions. In particular two errors that have come up, one was in a form that had a field connected to a table with a default date, the other is in reports, filtering by dates does not work (This week, Last week, etc.)

Is this an internal clock/calendar issue in the Terminal Server which doesn't work well when being accessed by Access? I'm not extremely familiar with Terminal Server operations, so I thought I'd ask in case this is something someone has come accross before.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    There are no issues to my knowledge. At the end of the day, the TS is just another computer. I have apps running in TS/Citrix environments that use date functions with no problem.

I'm a little concerned with the location. I'm no expert, but my gut tells me that you will end up with multiple users opening the same copy of the front end. In my experience, TS doesn't handle that as well as you think it should (at least not as well as I thought it should). I had quirky problems until I ensured each user had their own copy.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Well I'm certainly no expert either but from what I understood from the person telling me how to do this before, it seemed that if you dropped a copy in the All users folder it created a copy for every user's desktop. However I wasn't sure about this and maybe that copy just shows up on every user's desktop? I'm a little confused when it comes to this and I may just end up having the users manually putting a copy of the front end on their desktop.

However, this does not affect my problem, I don't think, because to test that possibility I logged onto the server and pulled an entirely seperate copy onto my desktop and tried the filtering and it still didn't work. Also I've tried this same version on my network and there's no problems whatsoever, so I know that the issue is with the transfer to the terminal server. I just don't know what...

Windows XP Access 2007
    What specifically are you doing and how is it failing (what are the errors)? It works on a standalone PC? Same versions of Access?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Well like I said before there was the default date issue where it would give me an error (I don't remember what specifically) when the field had a default date. Then when I removed it I did not have an error anymore.

Now the problem is I'm accessing a report, trying to right click a date column and use any Date Filter. When I click one, such as "Last Week", I get this:

Function is not available in expressions in query expression
    '((Year([tblTimeSheet].[WorkDate])*53+DatePart("ww",[tblTimeSheet].[WorkDate],0)=(Year(Date())*53+DatePart"ww",Date(),0)-1))'

The versions of Access are the same, both 2007, and this action works on my PC where I have the front end placed on my user desktop, and the back end is located in a shared network drive.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Even though they're both 2007, that almost sounds like a reference issue:

Access Reference Problems

I've had odd problems with PC's with 2007, which I think boil down to differing service packs, but I'm not sure yet. See if the above helps any.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks a bunch Paul, I'll take a look at this but it might take me a bit to weed through this one. I'll post up later if I resolve this issue.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Bingo! Found it. At first I was thinking that it was a reference that I didn't have included, to be compatible with the server version. But after some online searching I realized that it was actually most likely one that I did have included, that wasn't compatible, which was correct.

It was a Microsoft Outlook reference which I had been using to create tasks with for the local people, however the terminal server does not have Outlook installed.

Thanks again for the help!

Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem Eric. Reference problems can be hard to identify. It would be nice if you got an error that said "you don't have Outlook on this machine but you have it referenced". Instead you get goofy date function errors that don't have any relationship to Outlook. Drives me crazy!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.