Nokia N93 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Help in service call Database

first of all , ididn't know where to post this

i need help in access that will add a new entry for the Service Call Management. This process will just fill in very few fields, mostly the required fields. This is what I believe are the required fields:

Call Number
    Customer name
    Entry date and time
    Problem
    To which Department
    the solution
    Time and date of solution
    Feedback

can anyone help me in the idea of making this
    i want a form to enter these information
    a query to see which departments has the unsolved problems
    the number of problems within specific date
    the solved problems .... etc

thanx

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    In a way your post is almost too general to answer. Most posts involve a specific task. What you should definitely do is to go to the Microsoft web site and look at the free templates that they offer. This may well provide what you need.

Hope this helps.

vitols is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Enter you fields in a Table.
    Use the forms wizard to create a form.
    In the form properties: Default form, decide wether you want
    a continuous (multiple or single (data record) in the form. Finished.

Start reading books on access.

Have fun Vitols

Windows XP Access 2003
    thanx a lot vitols and ntc
    but i have a problem in the queries

i made the form and i need a query to know what are the unsolved problems
    i put a field (check box) to check when the problem is solved
    i tried to make a query but i didn't figure out how

also i want to make a button (New Record) when i open the form and click it a new empyt form is opened

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    a checkbox gives you a true/false record in a table. If it has properly been updating in the table, then all you ahve to do is query for...

WHERE table.field = x

replace x with 0 if you want the unchecked ones, and with a -1 if you want the checked.

Windows XP Access 2003
    thnx theshabz for the help

but let us say that the secratrey write the problem and send it to the specified department for solution ,, when the department opens the form it will open in the table not the form so when he writes the solution he will write it in the table not in the form we made

another question, if i want the form to be opened without the records that i entered before,, i tried to make a bush button that named New record but it didn't open the form

(i want to make a button (New Record) when i open the form and click it a new empyt form is opened)

I'm sorry to bother you,, i think i have many questions in my head

Windows XP Access 2003
    Oh God, dont EVER give users access to your tables. You're just begging them to screw it all up. General rule of thumb, the moment you trust your user not to be an idiot, is the moment you've lost your system. put everything in a form, and backup your tables often.

I'm not sure what your second question is though. Can you elaborate or re-word?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    Oh God, dont EVER give users access to your tables. You're just begging them to screw it all up. General rule of thumb, the moment you trust your user not to be an idiot, is the moment you've lost your system. put everything in a form, and backup your tables often.

I'm not sure what your second question is though. Can you elaborate or re-word?
    yes im a begginer in ACCESS
    when the form is opened it is opened to the first record which is filled, and i have to go to the last record so that i write the new record
    so if i want to make a button called new record ( that opens a form with no information yet )

also i have a question about the sharing
    this file is supposed to be on a shared folder
    when the secrateray write the problem on the form
    the manger or departement can open it from the shared folder to see what are the unsolved problems for a specific department

I s this situation works well?? or im just bumbling ??

Windows XP Access 2003
    This is just personal taste, because I've been hosed by this before. I never EVER open a form based off a table. If I want to display the contents, I will run open a form on a query of SELECT * FROM myTable. This way the data can be viewed but not altered. If I want to have a data entry section, I will use unbound textboxes, comboboxes, and others, and then use an INSERT INTO query to put them into the table. I NEVER give users direct access to a table. Using this concept, you would have 2 forms. 1 for data entry, and 1 for viewing data, instead of the 1 form you currently have that does both.

About the sharing, you would best be served splitting your database (Google for more info). You would put the backend file on a shared drive/network and then give each user their own front end. Now they can all get onto the database at the same time.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    This is just personal taste, because I've been hosed by this before. I never EVER open a form based off a table. If I want to display the contents, I will run open a form on a query of SELECT * FROM myTable. This way the data can be viewed but not altered. If I want to have a data entry section, I will use unbound textboxes, comboboxes, and others, and then use an INSERT INTO query to put them into the table. I NEVER give users direct access to a table. Using this concept, you would have 2 forms. 1 for data entry, and 1 for viewing data, instead of the 1 form you currently have that does both.

About the sharing, you would best be served splitting your database (Google for more info). You would put the backend file on a shared drive/network and then give each user their own front end. Now they can all get onto the database at the same time.

Really thnx alot,,, you gave me great information
    as i told you i'm begginner in ACCESS ,, thx alot i will google for more info ..

Windows XP Access 2003
    No problem. Come back with more questions.

Windows XP Access 2003

Help in Queries

Hi it's me Again

well i think i started to understand ACCESS, and i'm enjoying it
    but i have a problem in Queries

Now i attached a sample of what i want

i want a query to ask me to choose the selected Department from a combo box,, and when i hit the search button it bring me all the calls and problems for that department

i tried to do the queries but there is a lways an error

Also , i want a query to enter the date of a specific day and all the problems of that day come in a report

thaaaaaaanx again

Windows XP Access 2003
    In your query, you've referenced the combobox correctly. The issue is that it is looking for tblCallSystem.SolutionDateTime and tblCallSystem.FeedBack, neither of which are in your table. just add those fields to the table and it should run fine.

The date will work the same way, except you will use a textbox instead of a combobox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.