asearle is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Resizing Graphics in Reports

Hi Everyone,

For a current project I need to resize a number of graphics and incorporate them into reports.

Some of these are for logos on official documents which must retain a high quality. Others are screenshots which are needed for documentation and reference purposes.

So far, I find that I can incorportate a graphic very easily but am unable to comfortably resize that graphic: The container resizes but the graphic doesn't.

I then tried resizing the graphic before importing (using GIMP) but found that I had an unacceptable loss of resolution/quality.

Can anyone help me with this?

What is the best format to import? jpg, gif, png, ... ?
    And is there a setting within an MS-Access report (control property?) which allows me to more comfortably and efficiently resize the graphic?

Any tips would be most gratefully received.

Regards,
    Alan Searle

Cologne, Germany

Windows XP Access 2003

Solved ... more or less

Sorry: This is a bit of a false alarm as I have found the "scale" property which avoids the graphic being cut off and also realise that although the quality displayed on the screen looks pretty bad, the printouts are more or less OK.

Sorry for that.

Regards,
    Alan

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have made progress on incorporating graphics into reports but am stuck on one point now: I have a report which documents certain steps with the system, listing each step in a continues report.

So far so good.

For certain (but not all) steps I would like to add a small screenshot jpg picture to illustrate what needs to be done at that point and so have added an OLE field to the underlying table and have put the jpgs into the appropriate records. That also worked OK and the jpgs can be viewed by simply double-clicking on the field in the table.

However, then I came to create a report and so wanted to set the OLE fields (in the repor) to "can grow" so that they would only appear when a graphic is present and found that I come up against two problems:

1. The OLE field cannot (as far as I can see) be set to "can grow" so this means that the report is bloated by all the entries where no graphic is available (but space is reserved).

2. Even though I have set the control to "show contents" (rather than symbol), I still only get the name of the file (rather than the graphic) displayed. Indeed, here I want to make sure that the graphic is embedded in the table and not just linked because the jpg files will not be delivered with the application and so links would be broken.

Any tips on this or any links to good HOWTO sites would be a great help.

Many thanks,
    Alan Searle

Cologne, Germany

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.