nmcentire is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Look up values in multiple table fields

I am a novice at access and am almost done creating my program. Our company is a large snow removal contractor and we needed a program that we could track our field crews with in real time, record the data and export the data to our accounting software. For each property that we plow we could possibly have up to 10 people on site. So I have a master employee table. I have a plowing table that has the 10 fields for employees and those fields look at the employee table to provide a drop down box to select the employees working that site. The plowing table then tracks each employees start and stop time for that property for billing purpuses. Now I want to export their time to my accounting software, which works fine for the time spent on the actual property. But I can't figure out how to total up a single employees time, becuase that employee could show up in any one of 10 fields for multiple properties. I would like to create a query that searches all ten fields and if the name in any of the 10 matches a name in my employee master list, then create the record and group it by the employee so I can total their associated time. Any ideas how I could find my employees and group them when they could be in any of the 10 fields?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    The employees on jobs at properties should be in a separate table instead of in separate fields in the one table. It sounds like a refresher course in Normalization might be in order.

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I would redesign the tables to avoid those kinds of nightmares.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.