The Doc is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Clinical Database constructed but now wants Follow up Pages addedd?

Hi All,

Firstly many apologies if this is posetd in the wrong area. It is my frst.

I was given a remit to construct a Db to collate and display Volunteer info for a clinical trial. This was done on the fly, learning as I was going along, however, I managed to accomplish what was required and it works very well. It then transpired there was someone else working on something very similar (patient medical information) and they wanted both Dbs to be amalgamated as one. I seem to have managed that also, but at present they do not talk to each other. The one was a flat document style, while mine was a good relational style Db.

Now the lovely people running the trial want the same information collected at 'Baseline '0'' to be collected and stored under the same patient number in the same tables for 0, 6, 18months, 3, 5, & 10 years. I have no idea at all how to do this. I have looked on a number of help sites but cant find the help I need.

Can anyone advise please? If further information is needed I of course add what I can. I am using Access 2007.

Regards

The Doc

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    I think we would be able to help but I for one do not understand what you are having trouble with. Collecting the data? Entering the data? Storing the data? Getting the data back out?

The Doc is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi again many thanks for the reply.

First, unknown to a colleague and I, we have both been working on a separate part of a clinical trial Db. I did a relational style with subforms and she did a flat document style which just required filling in boxes or dropdown selections.
    I have managed to bring together both Db's to make one.

The main problem I am having is that the clever clinicians now want the Db to record for each individual patient:

1. Baseline visit
    2. Follow up at 6 months
    3. Follow up at 18 months
    4. 3 years
    5. 5 years
    6. 10 years

Each patient will be given a unique identifier as the primary key and another laboratory identifier.

What I am not able to do is, after filling in say patient 1's baseline details, on thier follow up at 6 months how do I get the new details into thier orginal table? All I can seem to do is have to create a new identity for the same patient. I am a NOOB to all this and only learnt on the fly, tight fisted clinicians not wanting to spend big £££'s on a professional Db. There are expected to be over 1,000 volunteers over the ten year period so with potentialy six visits each they will be storing a lot of data about each individual.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Doc

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Looking up an existing record is pretty easy in Access. Maybe if you told us more about your 1st form we could help (the one that wants to create a new identity). It could be modified to search for existing first.

vitols is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Hi again many thanks for the reply.

First, unknown to a colleague and I, we have both been working on a separate part of a clinical trial Db. I did a relational style with subforms and she did a flat document style which just required filling in boxes or dropdown selections.
    I have managed to bring together both Db's to make one.

The main problem I am having is that the clever clinicians now want the Db to record for each individual patient:

1. Baseline visit
    2. Follow up at 6 months
    3. Follow up at 18 months
    4. 3 years
    5. 5 years
    6. 10 years
    Each patient will be given a unique identifier as the primary key and another laboratory identifier.

What I am not able to do is, after filling in say patient 1's baseline details, on thier follow up at 6 months how do I get the new details into thier orginal table? All I can seem to do is have to create a new identity for the same patient. I am a NOOB to all this and only learnt on the fly, tight fisted clinicians not wanting to spend big £££'s on a professional Db. There are expected to be over 1,000 volunteers over the ten year period so with potentialy six visits each they will be storing a lot of data about each individual.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Doc

Hi

Have you considered a PatientId in a Main-Form and the
    Visits in a Sub-Form.

Vitols

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.