Justin is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Form - subform linking problem

I'm new to using Access and the version I am using is 2003. I find it pretty intuitive and can usually get it to do what I want. I am creating a fairly simple database for managing volunteers and so taking a whole class on Access doesn't seem worthwhile (especially financially)

Here's my problem:

I have a volunteer table/form for each volunteer. I can add new volunteers and plug in information fine. On each form, I have a subform called "event subform"
    I want to be able to say, ok Justin Smith, here's his information and in the subform here are the events that he has attended. I label it as such

FORM:
    volunteer ID: 1
    Name: Justin Smith
    Age 29

SUBFORM:
    Event ID: 1
    Event name: Gala
    Event date: 2010

Event ID: 2
    event name: Run
    Event Date: 2010

Now when i go to volunteer ID 2 for Jane Doe, it has Justin's Event ID 2 listed as Jane Doe's and when i click back to Justin, it just has event ID 1.

I think I understand that it is matching Volunteer ID and Event ID. Ok so if I don't have any connection, then it lists all of person number 1's events as everyone's events.

I think the problem lies with the relationship but I'm unsure how to have the subform independent from the form itself.

If this question has been answered before on here, just point me to the correct link. Otherwise any other help, I'd appreciate!

Thank you.

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm new to using Access

I think the problem lies with the relationship but I'm unsure how to have the subform independent from the form itself.

Thank you.
    Having the main form in design mode, check the properties on the subform. On the Property Sheet Data tab, you'll need to have the Link Master fields and the Link Child fields be the correct linking fields.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.