scotty562 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Criteria issue when using user input and > < ect

I have a simple query that is based on criteria it's getting from user input. So if the user enters 5 it shows record five. The problem is if I try and enter <5 it says "This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated."

If I put <5 manaully in the criteria field and run it; it runs just fine. What's going on?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    your post is not entirely clear. the table field is integer type? direct entry <5 works. but call from a form does not i.e. Forms!.FormName.ControlName ?

try: <Forms!.FormName.ControlName

if that works - then your issue is bringing over text from the form into an integer field at the query/table.

scotty562 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It's a number field. In my query designer I have my field filled in and my table filled in. I also have the criteria as [Please enter selection]. I'm not trying to bring the data in from another object.

If I type <5 directly into the criteria field from the query designer, it'll dispaly the data. If I put [Please enter selection] in the criteria field, then run it while in the query designer and then enter <5 in the window it pops up I get the message I posted in my original post.

Hope that clears up my post.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    one would think that a parameter prompt approach (that is what you are doing) would work - but alas it is the same situation.

for dynamic use of symbols <> etc - by users that are not in the query itself - is only accommodated by building the sql statement in vb....and then running it. Not in query design.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.