ducecoop is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Limit to Arguments?

This code I have been using for awhile and a few users are now telling me it sometimes work and sometimes does not.

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Activate()

SendKeys "{F9}"

Me.lblconditional.Visible = _
           Not ((Me!stuHighSchool Or Me!stuHighSchoolNA) And (Me!stuTranscripts Or Me!stuTranscriptsNA) And (Me!stuApplication Or Me!stuApplicationNA) And (Me!stuAgreement Or Me!stuAgreementNA) And (Me!stuEssay Or Me!stuEssayNA) And (Me!stuStanford Or Me!stuStanfordNA) And (Me!stuStudentOrientation Or Me!stuStudentOrientationNA) And (Me!stuAprenda Or Me!stuAprendaNA) And (Me!stuMAT Or Me!stuMATNA))
    End Sub
    If there is no limit then I have some other issue to track down
    For some reason I thought the limit (if there is one (was 32 arguments) but I may be remembering that from excel functions)

tia

dave
    Last edited by ducecoop; 11-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ducecoop View Post
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Activate()

SendKeys "{F9}"

Me.lblconditional.Visible = _
           Not ((Me!stuHighSchool Or Me!stuHighSchoolNA) And 

(Me!stuTranscripts Or Me!stuTranscriptsNA) And (Me!stuApplication Or Me!stuApplicationNA) And 
    (Me!stuAgreement Or Me!stuAgreementNA) And (Me!stuEssay Or Me!stuEssayNA) And 
    (Me!stuStanford Or Me!stuStanfordNA) And (Me!stuStudentOrientation Or Me!stuStudentOrientationNA) And 
    (Me!stuAprenda Or Me!stuAprendaNA) And (Me!stuMAT Or Me!stuMATNA))

End Sub
    why don't you put that entire thing into a single SELECT CASE conditional statement???it wouldn't be as messy and cumbersome.

have you also considered the fact that users are almost always mistaken? a general rule to follow as a developer is to cover 'anything and everything', because eventually a user will come along and figure out how to mess it up. Of course that is not always true, but having years of experience troubleshooting user issues, I can say that in all that time, 1% of the issues that were ticketed were legitimate bugs that required attention. The rest of the time it was either A) user not spending time to 'read the manual', or B) user not paying attention.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    why don't you put that entire thing into a single SELECT CASE conditional statement???it wouldn't be as messy and cumbersome.

have you also considered the fact that users are almost always mistaken? a general rule to follow as a developer is to cover 'anything and everything', because eventually a user will come along and figure out how to mess it up. Of course that is not always true, but having years of experience troubleshooting user issues, I can say that in all that time, 1% of the issues that were ticketed were legitimate bugs that required attention. The rest of the time it was either A) user not spending time to 'read the manual', or B) user not paying attention.
    Thanks for the reply,

I always test an issues reported by users and did so in this case. There is an issue.
    Before I dig in to this in several locations I wanted or rewrite code I want to make sure that my initial thought (Limit on Arguments) was not the cause.

Thanks

Dave

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I don't think those are arguments dave. It is just an expression that evaluates out to a result.

arguments are something different. (I think).

Windows XP Access 2003
    Then I guess I have other problems with it.

Thanks so much

Dave

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.