Wullig is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

A query about queries!

Hi folks,
    I'm no database whizz, but usually get by with most things, but I have an annoying problem I'm curious to know the answer to.

Recently been upgraded to Access 2007, and I have a database that pulls in excel files for comparing.
    I use a first query to strip text from the middle of a text string in the orig table, using Mid() & InStr() - This works perfect, I get what I need.

Then I use another query which compare a master table against the values generated by Query 1 - This can match records OK, but the records which have no match in Query1 have '#Error' displayed & I can't filter them (in 2003 I just used 'Is Null' to display non matching records)

BUT, If I use query1 to make a new table, then use the new table compare against the master table it works perfectly.

So somehow, the fact I'm using a query which uses a calculated field from another query, it returns some error from the calc in Query1 if the record doesn't exist. I'm certain access2003 did not do this.

Obviously I don't want to manually make tables to get round this, can anyone tell me what is the problem & how to get round it?
    Thanks very much
    Wullig

LillMcGill is offline Dagny fan
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    I guess I don't understand the second query. Why are records that don't have matching values in both fields displayed at all?

OK, I re-read and understand what you are after, I think... your goal is to produce records in master Table that aren't in the Query1 results.
    I am unable to replicate the error on version 2010. Sorry

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    1. If the text manipulation is not needed in order to make the matches - - then make the matches first, and then do the text manipulation second.

2. If it does work in 03, put that query into sqlview and then copy/paste the sql over into 07. This implies that 07 is building sqlstatements differently off the query design grid than did 03. Maybe. First time I've heard of it.

I agree that temp tables are generally an inelegant solution. But they aren't the end of the world and everything happens in an instant - so I wouldn't rule it out if that is the only solution.

Am interested to know what you find.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.