easyrider is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 11 Office 365

Using Input boxes to populate a Form?

Greetings everyone! So, I have a question that's related to design aesthetics. I'm rebuilding a DB (due to initial specs that were wrong) which has been in use for almost two years. Feedback from some of the end users indicate that they *think/feel* that some of my input forms are too....

.....complicated.

One form in particular has 22 required fields and when options are limited, they're controlled via comboboxes, otherwise they're entering data such as names & addresses. The tab order is set correctly and I've got OnExit code on each textbox (TB) to see if the field contains data. If the field is blank, the TB changes color to red, a msgbox pops up informing them of the error of their ways and sets focus back into the empty TB which returns to White after they start typing. I don't view this as a problem, however.

So, I was wondering if anyone's ever used a series to InputBoxes to prompt the user for data and then populate a form w/ the information?

Pros, Cons, thoughts? Any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

-Bill

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I wouldn’t use input boxes.

I would ask users what they mean by ‘complicated’ and get suggestions from them as to what would uncomplicate it

also take into account how users predominantly navigate the form - keyboard or mouse?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I don't view this as a problem, however.
    I do - unless they are scanning data or being fed it in order AND none of it is ever missing. Last thing a user likes is having no flexibility in data entry. No, I take that back. Last thing a user wants is multiple prompts for user actions that don't conform. I'd allow data entry in any order (unless maybe a value needs to be calculated based on a prior value before you can move on) then validate everything in form Before Update event - and present one list of fields that don't pass. So an input box for every field would be a very hard pass.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I agree with responses above. "22 required fields" seems a little off-putting to say the least--but we don't know anything about your application. Users can often highlight problem areas and suggest preferences/alternatives. May be time to prototype some alternatives involving users to get feedback and "get users involved in the solution".

easyrider is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 11 Office 365
    So here's a screenshot of the form's current iteration. I've consolidated the Owner's address & Owner's mailing address sections, thus reducing the number of required fields to 18. If the user selects Yes in the owner occupied combo (under the property address section), the owner's mailing address fields are populated from the property address fields. If they select No, then they have to enter the owner's mailing address. (I just noticed that I don't have a red asterisk on that combo).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	51727

CJ: I would imagine that users are primarily using the keyboard for input

Micron: Originally, I had a similar trap to check for empty/blank fields prior to writing the data to the table - part of the VBA behind the Add Property button. They didn't like it and asked me early on if I could change it. If they missed one or two, no big deal - apparently. But if they missed four or five, the complaint was that all of the red fields were "overwhelming." So, I came up with the OnExit check for each field. I was just wondering in my OP if a series of inputboxes could be used instead of using the OnExit events. In my mind, this would ensure that data is entered into the required fields as they move through the form.

Orange: good idea on getting them involved. I think I'll build the inputbox version and let them try it both ways.

June7 is online now VIP
    In my experience, your form is fairly simple.

The multiple similar name fields of AttributeX indicates a non-normalized structure. All 6 are required, never more nor less?

I agree, input boxes not the way to go for routine data entry. For one thing, responding to bunches of popups is just annoying. Another, harder to validate input via popup boxes. However, I have used. Example of more complicated one, which could possibly be better as a popup form with a listbox:
    Code:
        strRDC = IIf(strMode = "Draft", "X", "?")
        While strRDC = "?"
            strRDC = UCase(InputBox("Enter item ID for report distribution:" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  1   - Highway Construction" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  2   - Preconstruction" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  3   - HAP/ACP Mix Designs" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  4   - Northern Region" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  5   - Southeast Region" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  6   - Accepted Products" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  7   - M&O Central Region" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  8   - Special" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  9   - Aviation Construction" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  10  - Concrete Mix" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  11  - AIA Field Maintenance" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  N   - Number File" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                "  X   - Copy not for distribution nor filing", "Distribution", "X"))
            If (Val(strRDC) > 0 And Val(strRDC) < 12) Or strRDC Like "[N,X]" Then
                'continue with report print
                If IsNumeric(strRDC) Then strRDC = "D" & strRDC
            ElseIf strRDC <> "" Then
                MsgBox "Not an appropriate entry.", vbApplicationModal, "Entry Error"
                strRDC = "?"
            Else
                GoTo Exit_proc
            End If
        Wend
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I would imagine that users are primarily using the keyboard for input
    don’t disagree but I was thinking of navigating from one control to another

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.