Glenley is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

SSMS V20 Upgrade Issues

Did anyone have any issues after upgrading to the latest Sql Server Management Studio (v.20.0)? I had a float column named Width tha became corrupted after the update. I first noticed that it was coming up blank after running daily calculation procedure. As I got to digging, I put a watch on it and Access was seeing the field as an integer in the watch but a double in the table. It essentially made the field inoperable. Even after deleting the text box and replacing, refreshing the link to MSSQL, and dropping and relinking the table, nothing worked. I eventually had to create another column called RowWidth and copy the values over to the new column. All worked fine after that. Super weird. Does anyone have any insight in case something like that happens again?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Width happens to be a reserved word in Access but just as a property and I would not have expected that to cause issue as field name.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

SSMS is only a tool that works with SQL server. Upgrading this tool does not change anything to the tables or the way they work with access. Upgrading the SQL server itself can cause connection or ODBC-version problems. Did you upgrade the SQL server itself?

Windows 10 Office 365
    Yeah, I’ve been using my DB in its current configuration for the last year with no issues. And it really doesn’t make sense to me that SQL Server Management Studio would affect the connection with Access. I am using a hosted instance instance of SQL Server and the latest Management Studio update was a major one, resulting in a new instance of SSMS, not just an upgrade of my existing

Windows 10 Office 365
    NoellaG, I’m using a hosted instance of SQL with WinHost. They control the updates. It could be something on their end. I also stated ion another post, this SSMS update was major update. Instead of updating my current version it created a brand new one. It performed a transfer of my Schema and Stored Procs, maybe something in the transfer process corrupted something????

Windows 10 Office 365
    NoellaG, the column worked in fine when I would manipulate it in SQL. The problem seemed to be in the connection with Access

Have you tried downloading the latest ODBC driver for the connection? It seems to me you upgraded your SQL server, not just the graphic tool SSMS.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.