mpkimler is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Subform Field Linker Overflow Error

I have two tables, tblProjects and tblEquipment. The primary key in tblProjects is "Project_ID".

Within tblEquipment, there is also a field called "Project_ID" that is NOT a primary key. This is so that each piece of equipment is related back to a specific project.

My main form has a record source set to tblProjects. The subform control is set to another form called "sfrmEquipment". That form has a recordsource of tblEquipment.

Here is the problem. When I go to the properties of the subform control to set the master and child fields, I get an error message. The title says "Subform Field Linker" and the error message is "Overflow". I thought something might be wrong with the database, but my work co-worker doesn't get this error message when trying to create the subform in the same database and everything works as intended. So, I tried making a new database from scratch with just a couple of tables and no data. I still get the same error message. If I open other older databases and try to click on the master/child buttons of any subform, this error now pops up. Its like Access somehow became broken. We uninstalled MS Office and re-installed. Still no luck resolving the problem.

There is no information on what this Overflow error is. Its weird that im getting it by simply clicking on the link master field button within the subform control properties. Has anyone ever seen this before?

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 11 Access 2019
    I have seen this error before and re-booting the computer fixed it.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Great suggestion. I failed to mention that I tried that too. That did not fix it.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Perhaps the form is corrupted- have you tried recreating it from scratch?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Update on this. Turns out there was a registry key issue within windows that causes this to happen. Luckily our IT group had seen this once in the past and knew how to resolve it. I dont know the specifics of how they fixed it, but the subforms are indeed working again.

Might care to ask them, and post the result back?
    After all, that is what these forums are about, to help people.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm suspicious but that's my nature. Can you state what both of these fields (the ID and the related id field) data types are? By chance is one autonumber or long and the other integer, or both integer (because maybe you're not using an autonumber field for the parent ID field)? Overflow errors are most often caused by trying to put values in a field that are too large for the data type, or when running code and it tries to assign a value that is too large for the variable data type, or IIRC, also exceeding the boundaries of arrays, - things like that.

Monkeying with the registry for causes like that would be a bad idea. Or maybe they're not being straight with you.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.