Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    deepaksharma is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Decrypting the data is almost instantaneous in my example database from post #6
    Probably any noticeable slowdown is due to whatever you put in your code

You can also make tables read only using constraints - you can do a Google search for this but there is very little documentation available
    However, as already stated the question is really irrelevant as your users should never be able to access tables or queries directly
    All interaction should only be vis forms and these are easy to lock
    Thank you isladogs for replying,
    As per your suggestion, I have also tried encrypting the data on the backend file of another program but there also the program has become slow.
    Well I completely agree with you. If you can make and provide a simple video of migrating access backend to sql server as mentioned in post #3, it would be greatly appreciated. I have searched in Google and found out that if the Access backend file is migrated to SQL Server then the data limit of the Access backend file increases from 2GB to 15GB and With this, frontend programs can be accessed at a much faster speed without any interruption. Is this correct?
    Thank you again.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    My example database uses encrypted data in a backend database? Does that seem slow to you?

There are numerous articles & videos in existence covering the topic of migrating Access BEs to SQL Server. Do a Google and/or YouTube search.
    Access BEs have a maximum file size of 2 GB though of course an Access FE can be linked to more than one Access BE.

The maximum size of a SQL Server database depends on the SQL Server version used.
    The free Express version has a 10 GB limit. Paid versions can in some cases be several terabytes

It is a common myth that moving a BE to SQL Server will improve performance. It will certainly be more resilient & far less prone to crashes.
    However, initially, speed will often be slower. In order to achieve faster performance, the database will need to be optimised to make best use of SS.
    That is a huge topic and not something that any of us can cover in a forum post
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

isladogs;521683]My example database uses encrypted data in a backend database? Does that seem slow to you?
    Hello Isladogs,

The solution you suggested to encrypt the backend database works perfact but after that when the frontend program is run it becomes very slow. For example, if the "Create New Bill" button on the dashboard is clicked to create a bill, it takes an additional few seconds for the "Bill Entry Form" to open, which means that the program slows down.

Thank you very much for the information you have given about Sql server by spending so much time, I will study more about it on Google and YouTube.
    One last thing I want to know from you is whether the backend file can be set in such a way that no mischievous user can delete the backend file. What I mean to say is, can the backend file to be set on undeletable? if so, how?
    Thank you.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You might want to take a look at this link to see if there are things you can do to improve performance

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...issues.291269/

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    @deepaksharma
    If encrypting the data is making your system too slow, then get rid of it
    However, you didn't answer my question. Does my sample database with encrypted data seem slow to you?

You can limit permission to the BE folder so that end users only have read/write permissions
    However, end users should never have direct access to the BE folder. In fact there is no reason for them to even know its location.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

However, end users should never have direct access to the BE folder. In fact there is no reason for them to even know its location.
    The only way to make it to work I can imagine, is to create a folder with restricted access to all end users (so the folder will be not visible for them), and into it a subfolder with read-write rights for end users, where BE is placed.

@deepaksharma
    If encrypting the data is making your system too slow, then get rid of it
    However, you didn't answer my question. Does my sample database with encrypted data seem slow to you?

You can limit permission to the BE folder so that end users only have read/write permissions
    hello isladogs,
    I learned a lot from the link you posted. On that link I got to know about advanced programming like Rc4, cipher key etc. Actually it took me a lot of time to study them. The sample database you uploaded was in Office 365 format and as many users use normal Office, it took me a lot of time to get it running. I'm still trying to install the free version of Office 365.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    The only way to make it to work I can imagine, is to create a folder with restricted access to all end users (so the folder will be not visible for them), and into it a subfolder with read-write rights for end users, where BE is placed.
    hello arrivals,
    Till now I had been doing a stupid thing, actually I had created a share drive of the backend database folder on each frontend computer by this stupid work the frontend user had direct access to the database. Now I deleted the shared drives from each frontend computer and linked with "//computer name/BE data file path" in each FE so the end user cannot see the path of the database.
    But in the method suggested by you to restrict the BE folder, the FE program is not working due to restricting the read & write permission of the BE folder. Am I doing something wrong?
    Thank you.

As I did say, I'm not 100% sure it will work, or how exactly to do this (we have network admin's for this kind of work), but what I did mean was that users will have RE rights to back-end file folder, but they don't have those rights to it's parent folder, and they even haven't rights to see this parent folder. So users can't navigate to BE folder, but thei'r FE's are connected and working. And in case this is possible to do in LAN, I'm not sure the same is possible (and secure) to set up for shared folder in some computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.