DPR01 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2019

Question Database Table Structure Design

I am new to Access and have created Tables, Forms and Queries so have some familiarity with the program. However, I am not certain it is an effective or efficient way to handle my wants/needs.

I want/need a more efficient inventory management database process.
    I make or buy a product that I use in my personal and professional life. The finished product has many different combinations of the components.
    I buy 4 component types each having many different part IDs and assemble them into the desired finished-product configuration.
    I track both component and finished-product quantities.
    I have created a table for each component and one for the finished product.
    I update the 5 tables via forms and update queries.

My question is: will my inventory system be more effective/efficient if I were to create a single table for both components and finished products?

I would like to create a Single Batch form to update the quantity of each component used and the quantity of finished product added.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    It doesn't sound correct to have a table for each component type.
    I would have thought you would have a single component table that had a component type identifier in it.

Perhaps you could post up a picture of your tables & relationship to give a better picture of the overall design.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

DPR01 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2019
    Thank you for response. I am self-taught and it seemed an easier way to learn and setup the desired elements. I was concerned about creating a single form to handle all the updates. Still not sure I could handle that part but will work at it if it makes sense from a structure perspective. I can just add a component type field and import the data into the new table based upon type.

Currently the tables are not related to each other. There is a form and query for each table.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    To make it more efficient look up 3rd Normal Form for Databases and apply those rules to your Database. Any questions you have on 3rd Normal Form can be answered here.

DPR01 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2019
    Thank you for the input. I will look up the 3rd Form approach and let you know how it worked out or not.

Have a Blessed day.

Here is a list that @Micron put together.

https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...553#post510553
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

As it looks like this DB will be for personal use mostly, and isn't meant for production management, then easiest structure would be (on fly):
    tblArticles: ArticleID, ArticleType, ArticleName, ArticleUnit, ... (where ArticleType may be like 0 for products, and 1 for components, and ArticleUnit may be pcs, kg, l, etc.);
    tblProductStructure: ProductStructureID, ProductID, ComponentID, ComponentQty (Component can be either component type article, or product type article);
    tblArticleTransactions: ArticleTransactionID, ArticleID, TransactionDate, TransactionType, TransactionSign, TransactionQty, Comment (TransactionType has smallint values for purchase with Sign = 1, for registering assembled product with Sign = 1, for using atricle to assemble a product with sign -1, for getting components back when disassembling the product with Sign = 1, for scrappint the article with Sign = -1, etc.)

The number of any article available at any time moment is the sum of quantities*sign of all transactions for this article until the date/datetime of this moment

As about form design, you can use a single form based on table tblArticles, with 2 continous subforms, one based on table tblProductStructure, and another on table tblArticleTransactions. Articles form can have a calculated control to display currently available quantity.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.