tgavin is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Multiple versions of Access and Windows 7

Due to different clients and teaching obligations, I need to have multiple versions of office on my computer. This has not been a problem with Windows XP. I got a new computer with Windows 7 and when I put Access 2003 on it, it works great. I added 2007 and 2010, and now none of the code will work in 2003. If I take the same front end to another computer with 2003, it works fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no solution. And I have to have both versions...I can't add the forms to the ribbon with 07 or 10 and I can't email pdf's with 03. I have companies with different people with different versions.

Has any one run into this and has anyone found an answer???

Thanks
    Terri

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    terri,

Access (I think) is much more complicated than other office programs. the problems are endless when you install more than one version. to my knowledge, there isn't a solution to this, as there really shouldn't be anyhow.

the thing that will work the best for you is probably to use more than one machine if you need mutiple Access versions. Other office programs in multiple versions is also a bad idea, but the problems might be minimal compared to access's issues you'll see.

the other thing you'll notice too is that if you have code modules in your vba projects, that will cause even more problems with this scenario, starting with 'broken reference' popup messages.

ducecoop is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I have found that if you open Access (the application) of the year version you need first and then open your needed file it will do what you want. I can not guarantee this in for Win 7.
    The better solution (short of the above - having multiple computers) is to set up virtual environments for the different versions. (And even for different OS's if necessary).
    Virtual PC or VMware would both work for this.

Dave

tgavin is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Dave and Adam, thanks for your replies. I have had multiple versions on my machines for years, I have Office 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 and the trial version of 2010 on my XP. (too many years of training multiple corporate clients). It is only the code in the 2003 that is causing me the problem and it is only once I put the other versions on. While virtual or multiple machines would be an idea, the idea of having to transfer databases back and forth seems like a nightmare. I really have one client that I need both 2003 and 2010 because of needs by different people/departments. It is very frustrating because I didn't have the problem with XP.

If you or anyone else have any other ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.