jimbeam690 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Creating Descriptions from Fields

Hi
    I am currently using Excel with many spreadsheets that are getting bigger and bigger and harder to maintain to make descriptions for our PIM system and Webstore.

So in a sense we have a spreadsheet for arguments sake call it TV

In this TV spreadsheet i have a Data Entry Tab where i fill in all my data about the TV (Attributes, eg size, color, resolution etc) when i enter in each attribute i have a dropdown list that i have in a second TAB that has the lookup values. Eg, there is a list that has Black, White, Silver etc i have 3 of these TABs one set for the output for PIM System and then another for the Short Description for the webstore and then another tab for the long description,

So in the PIM tab we may have it as

BLACK = BLK
    BLUE = BLU

Because we need to save space in the description.

The short Description tab will have it as
    BLACK = BLACK
    BLUE = BLUE

i then have a TAB that has the same attributes as the input tab but it does a lookup, looks up the value in the input tab and then looks up in the PIM tab and displays the Abbreviated text in that field.

We then have another TAB that will then "TEXTJOIN" all the attributes together and that makes our description.

So i want to try and replicate that in a database.

I have got it so that i have the table setup.
    All the attributes
    I then have all the attributes as a lookup drop down box in the table and that is all working fine.

The issue i face is i want to now lookup that value in my lookup tables and then display the abbreviated attribute in a new table or form or query.
    I managed to get the abbreviated attributes into a query but im not sure how to do a calculated field to add all the attributes together to make the description.

so what i want to do is to add together fields based off a lookup on a different table

Brand = Sony
    Size = 21"
    RESOLUTION = 1080x2045
    COLOR = BLACK
    HEIGHT = 100mm
    WIDTH = 100mm
    DEPTH = 20mm

Combine all together to show

Sony 21" MONITOR 1080x2045 BLK 100Hx100Wx20D (MM)

But if i can get one to work i will be able to replicate to the others that i need. Just need some assistance if possible to get me pointed in the right direction, even if you can point me to some online videos to show me that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks heaps.

Marcus

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I then have all the attributes as a lookup drop down box in the table and that is all working fine.
    I'd say therein lies your problem if I understand what you're saying. If you read this then post back and clarify it might help.
    http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

I may not be understanding the exact issue because if those attributes are fields and not records you shouldn't need to "calculate" anything (I think you mean concatenate). However you may be saying that your query is returning numbers instead of text values because that's what lookup fields tend to do..
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I am thinking you just need simple concatenation if you link all the tables correctly

Code:
    Brand & " " & Size & " " & Type & " " & Resolution & " " & ColorPim & " " & Height & "Hx" & Width &"Wx" & Depth &"D" & " (mm)" AS Description
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.