Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Edgar is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Glad it works for you Euler. The slowness could be because of Internet Explorer, newer browsers are optimized for that sort of website, so they load that content much faster. If you need more speed, selenium and puppeteer could be better alternatives. I've never made selenium work, though. Only puppeteer.

June7, I'm sorry it crashed for you. Maybe the while loop is too aggressive, so you can try to limit it somehow, maybe attempt to get the object only once every 500ms before reaching a timeout? Or maybe only use the shell alternative after a quick Sleep instead of spamming the ie object?

I think this would work for the Sleep to be compatible in both 32 and 64 bits:
    Code:
    #If VBA7 Or Win64 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As LongPtr)
    #Else
    Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)
    #End If
    Please click on the ⭐ below if this post helped you.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Removed DoEvents

If VBA7 Or Win64 Then line errors so tried each Declare. Sleep compiles but same result. Access crashes. Worse with PtrSafe.

Oh well, not like I need it.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    Have you tried any of the FedEx API's?
    https://developer.fedex.com/api/en-u...log/track.html
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    This is the correct Sleep API code:

Code:
    #If VBA7 Then 'A2010 or later 32 & 64-bit
         Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)
    #Else 'A2007 or earlier
    #End If
    In this case, only PtrSafe needs to be added
    Using Win64 is superfluous as VBA7 works for both bitnesses in A2010 or later
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is online now VIP
    Tried again. This time left the # characters. Compiles but still crashes.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thanks, Colin.

Euler is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Glad it works for you Euler. The slowness could be because of Internet Explorer, newer browsers are optimized for that sort of website, so they load that content much faster. If you need more speed, selenium and puppeteer could be better alternatives. I've never made selenium work, though. Only puppeteer.

June7, I'm sorry it crashed for you. Maybe the while loop is too aggressive, so you can try to limit it somehow, maybe attempt to get the object only once every 500ms before reaching a timeout? Or maybe only use the shell alternative after a quick Sleep instead of spamming the ie object?

I think this would work for the Sleep to be compatible in both 32 and 64 bits:
    Code:
    #If VBA7 Or Win64 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As LongPtr)
    #Else
    #End If

I don't think I can create an object with any other browser as the following line does with Internet Explorer:

Code:
    Set ie = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    If you, or someone, knows of a way to create an object for a different browser, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Do you have to pay for Selenium/Puppeteer?

Windows 8 Access 2016
    You have options.
    1. Stick to the built-in Internet Explorer automation.

2. Create a Fedex api key that lets you use their tracking service. Moke posted a link I had already checked, I don't know if you have to pay for this service, but since it requires me to fill a form with phone numbers, address, and all that stuff, I guess it won't be free. APIs that ask for this much information charge money.

3. Use Selenium. Selenium is supposed to be able to automate Chrome, Firefox and other browsers from VBA. It's free. Go check out some tutorials and see if you can make it work. I've tried it and it always throws errors. I suspect the problem has something to do with the browser version. I have not yet set it up because I use Puppeteer and it's just awesome.

4. Using Puppeteer is your 4th option. It requires JavaScript. Here's how I use it. Install NodeJS, which is the runtime that lets you use that library and many more. Install VSCode, which is the text editor where you'll write the code. Install the Puppeteer library. Assuming you already have a working solution that you've been testing, now deploy an executable that is agnostic of NodeJS, for that, I use another library called nexe. One command later and I have an executable. From VBA, call this executable. Make sure your Puppeteer program creates an output file that can be read by VBA. That way the whole architecture looks like this:
    VBA calls the executable > The executable automates Chromium, Generates an output and closes itself > VBA reads the output.

I've done this so many times it's very normal for me. Yes, I know, it won't be easy. But you don't have to suffer, ChatGPT can help you tons. You could have a working solution in minutes from now, unlike previous years. Give the tracking API a try, maybe it's free. Or maybe someone offers a third party API that is free. Like Bing, which you can also use, but requires you to setup a VPN because nowadays it does not return the year in the delivery date for US IPs. So here's your 5th option.

5. Configure Internet Explorer to use a VPN, nowadays there are many free VPNs, so you probably can use that to make Bing search believe you're from another country that does make it return good good dates.

Here's a much shorter overview. If you end up using Puppeteer, you'll definitely do this faster, maybe it will take 2 or 3 seconds. If you use Selenium, it's probably the same time. If you stick to IE, yes, it will be a little slower, but it's working, right? you can sip some coffee and boom, done. So, basically, what I'm trying to say is that you'll gain a few seconds by using a modern browser, but are those seconds worth the efforts of learning, say, Puppeteer? or setting up a VPN? or making Selenium work? or potentially paying Fedex? Put these on a scale.

You have options.

2. Create a Fedex api key that lets you use their tracking service. Moke posted a link I had already checked, I don't know if you have to pay for this service, but since it requires me to fill a form with phone numbers, address, and all that stuff, I guess it won't be free. APIs that ask for this much information charge money.

3. Use Selenium. Selenium is supposed to be able to automate Chrome, Firefox and other browsers from VBA. It's free. Go check out some tutorials and see if you can make it work. I've tried it and it always throws errors. I suspect the problem has something to do with the browser version. I have not yet set it up because I use Puppeteer and it's just awesome.

4. Using Puppeteer is your 4th option. It requires JavaScript. Here's how I use it. Install NodeJS, which is the runtime that lets you use that library and many more. Install VSCode, which is the text editor where you'll write the code. Install the Puppeteer library. Assuming you already have a working solution that you've been testing, now deploy an executable that is agnostic of NodeJS, for that, I use another library called nexe. One command later and I have an executable. From VBA, call this executable. Make sure your Puppeteer program creates an output file that can be read by VBA. That way the whole architecture looks like this:
    VBA calls the executable > The executable automates Chromium, Generates an output and closes itself > VBA reads the output.

I've done this so many times it's very normal for me. Yes, I know, it won't be easy. But you don't have to suffer, ChatGPT can help you tons. You could have a working solution in minutes from now, unlike previous years. Give the tracking API a try, maybe it's free. Or maybe someone offers a third party API that is free. Like Bing, which you can also use, but requires you to setup a VPN because nowadays it does not return the year in the delivery date for US IPs. So here's your 5th option.

5. Configure Internet Explorer to use a VPN, nowadays there are many free VPNs, so you probably can use that to make Bing search believe you're from another country that does make it return good good dates.

Here's a much shorter overview. If you end up using Puppeteer, you'll definitely do this faster, maybe it will take 2 or 3 seconds. If you use Selenium, it's probably the same time. If you stick to IE, yes, it will be a little slower, but it's working, right? you can sip some coffee and boom, done. So, basically, what I'm trying to say is that you'll gain a few seconds by using a modern browser, but are those seconds worth the efforts of learning, say, Puppeteer? or setting up a VPN? or making Selenium work? or potentially paying Fedex? Put these on a scale.
    I think you're right about doing the cost/benefit analysis in order to gain a couple of seconds of speed. I would like to pursue the FedEx API option, however, since my company does a lot of business with them.

You said "Moke posted a link". Could you please provide me with that link? I will check it out to see how much cost and/or hassle it would require to pursue it further. Thanks ever so much.

June7 is online now VIP
    Link in post 33.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Link in post 33.
    Sorry, I didn't see that. Thanks for pointing it out.

You have options.

Your code to find the delivery date does a great job returning it. But how can I modify the code if it doesn't find the delivery date? I'd like to show a message saying something like:

Code:
    MsgBox "No delivery date found."
    I tried the following code:

Code:
    Public Sub GetDeliveryDate()
        'This returns the FedEx delivery date.
        Const PREFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK As String = https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrac...rackingnumber=
        Const SUFFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK As String = "&cntry_code=us&locale=en_US"
        Dim ie As Object
        Dim deliveryDate As Object
        ie.Navigate PREFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK & Trim(Me!txtSampleID) & SUFFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK
        ie.Visible = False
        Do Until Not ie.Busy And ie.READYSTATE = READYSTATE_COMPLETE: DoEvents: Loop
        Sleep 3000
        Set deliveryDate = Nothing
        'Do While deliveryDate Is Nothing
            On Error Resume Next
            Set deliveryDate = ie.Document.getElementsByClassName("deliveryDateTextBetween")(0)
            On Error GoTo 0
        'Loop
        If IsNull(deliveryDate.INNERTEXT) Then
            Me!txtDateSampleReceived = Left(deliveryDate.INNERTEXT, InStr(deliveryDate.INNERTEXT, " ") - 1)
        Else
            MsgBox "No delivery date found.", , "Rebiotix"
        End If
        ie.Quit
        Set ie = Nothing
    End Sub
    I get error 91: Object variable not set.

I am able to get the delivery date now and I'm pursuing other methods to retrieve it faster.

Now, however, the company wants to get the Ship Date, which is the date that FedEx picked up the item. I can't find anything similar to "deliveryDateTextBetween" as found in the following line of code:

Code:
    Set deliveryDate = ie.Document.getElementsByClassName("deliveryDateTextBetween")(0)
    Does anyone know how I can capture that data element? Thank you very much

Seems to me you need to inspect the page and look for the elements?

This is from the 'We Have Your Package' element.

<span class="shipment-status-progress-step-label"><div class="shipment-status-progress-step-dot">&nbsp;</div> We have your package </span>
    <span class="shipment-status-progress-step-label-content">IRVING, TX</span>
    <span class="shipment-status-progress-step-label-content">5/10/22 6:56 PM</span>
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    Seems to me you need to inspect the page and look for the elements?

This is from the 'We Have Your Package' element.

<span class="shipment-status-progress-step-label"><div class="shipment-status-progress-step-dot">&nbsp;</div> We have your package </span>
    <span class="shipment-status-progress-step-label-content">IRVING, TX</span>
    <span class="shipment-status-progress-step-label-content">5/10/22 6:56 PM</span>
    I got the following code to return the shipping and delivery dates from the FedEx website but it's pretty slow:

Code:
    Public Sub GetDeliveryDate()
        'https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?action=track&trackingnumber=816437633660&cntry_code=us&locale=en_US
        On Error GoTo OOPS
        Const PREFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK As String = https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrac...rackingnumber=
        Dim ie As Object
        Dim shippingDate As Object
        Dim deliveryDate As Object
        DoCmd.Hourglass True
        ie.Navigate PREFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK & "816437633660" & SUFFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK
        ie.Visible = False
        Do Until Not ie.Busy And ie.READYSTATE = READYSTATE_COMPLETE: DoEvents: Loop
        Sleep 3000
        Set shippingDate = Nothing
        Set deliveryDate = Nothing
        'Do While deliveryDate Is Nothing
            'On Error Resume Next
            'Below, shipping date is the second element with that class name.
            Set shippingDate = ie.Document.getElementsByClassName("fdx-u-text--normal fdx-u-font-size--small fdx-u-line-height--large fdx-u-pl--4 fdx-u-pt--1 fdx-u-pb--1")(1)
            'On Error GoTo 0
        'Loop
        Me!txtDateSampleShipped = Format(shippingDate.innerText, "mm/dd/yy")
        Me!txtDateSampleReceived = Format(Left(Nz(deliveryDate.innerText), InStr(deliveryDate.innerText, " ") - 1), "mm/dd/yy")
    ExitSub:
        ie.Quit
        Set ie = Nothing
        DoCmd.Hourglass False
        Exit Sub
    OOPS:
        Select Case Err.Number
            Case 91
                MsgBox "No delivery date found.", , "Rebiotix"
                Resume ExitSub
        End Select
    End Sub
    I also added error handling in case it didn't find a delivery date. I'll have to do the same for shipping date.

The following code is much faster but its drawback is that there is no year in the returned date, for some reason.

Code:
    Sub GetDeliveryDate()
        On Error GoTo OOPS
        Dim req As Object
        Dim res As HTMLDocument
        Set req = CreateObject("msxml2.xmlhttp")
        req.Open "get", https://www.bing.com/packagetracking...ex&FORM=PCKTR1, False
        req.send
        Set res = CreateObject("HTMLFile")
        res.body.innerHTML = req.responseText
        'The following returns the class element that is associated with the text at the top of the web page.
        Me!txtDateSampleReceived = res.getElementsByClassName("b_focusTextSmall")(0).innerText
        'The following returns the shipping date, with no year.  There are five instances of "  pt_Cell" and we want the fifth one.
        Me!txtDateSampleShipped = res.getElementsByClassName("  pt_Cell")(4).innerText
    ExitSub:
        Exit Sub
    OOPS:
        MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
        Resume ExitSub
    End Sub
    What I'd like to do is modify the second code block with the code from the first block so that it's both fast and returns the year in the date. So far, I've been unsuccessful. I've got this code:

Code:
    Sub GetDeliveryDate()
        'This is a replica of the Bing version.
        On Error GoTo OOPS
        Dim req As Object
        Dim res As HTMLDocument
        Set req = CreateObject("msxml2.xmlhttp")
        req.Open "GET", PREFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK & "816437633660" & SUFFIX_FOR_FEDEX_LINK, False
        req.send
        Set res = CreateObject("HTMLFile")
        res.body.innerHTML = req.responseText
        'The following returns the class element that is associated with the text at the top of the web page.
        Me!txtDateSampleReceived = res.getElementsByClassName("deliveryDateTextBetween")(0).innerText
        'The following returns the shipping date, with no year.  There are three instances of the same class and we want the second one.
        Me!txtDateSampleShipped = res.getElementsByClassName("fdx-u-text--normal fdx-u-font-size--small fdx-u-line-height--large fdx-u-pl--4 fdx-u-pt--1 fdx-u-pb--1")(1).innerText
    ExitSub:
        Exit Sub
    OOPS:
        MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
        Resume ExitSub
    End Sub
    But it throws an error 91: Object variable not set.

I don't know why I get that error.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.