MykelDL is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Access Swapped Table Names on Me, Randomly.

I cannot fathom how this happened, but I'm weeks into a database update, where I'm going from concept to usable application, but adding in a higher "umbrella" of data. None of that is really material, except that I just discovered that sometime in the last few days, two of my tables swapped names. What was the Project table was renamed to a many-to-many links table, and vice versa. I started getting some weird errors as I was continuing to build forms and functionality. I switched the names back by renaming them both to their original names, but now I have a cascade of different errors. I don't even know where to begin fixing this. To clarify, both tables were local, as I haven't split the database yet.

Has this ever happened to you? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mykel

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    me is relative.
    If you want a field from a form (when many forms are available) use the full path: forms!fMyForm!txtBox

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    sometime in the last few days, two of my tables swapped names.
    can only happen by developer error - perhaps you have make table queries that are making the wrong tables.

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    me is relative.
    If you want a field from a form (when many forms are available) use the full path: forms!fMyForm!txtBox
    It wasn't the a form reference issue. The tblProjects form was renamed "tblProjectsVendorsLinks" and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
    can only happen by developer error - perhaps you have make table queries that are making the wrong tables.
    I do not have any make tables queries. In the absence of other evidence to the contrary, I cannot deny some developer error, but I did NOT knowingly instruct Access to swap the names of those tables. What are the odds that I did something to have all the structure and data in one table swap with all the structure and date of another table? I did recall that I deleted an adjacent table called because it was redundant--it was a subProjects link to Vendors, which was superseded by the Project-to-Vendors link.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    purely guesswork - changing the name of table1 to the name of table2 will delete table2, so to preserve table2 you first need to change the name of table2 to something else. That is not a bug, it is someone doing it. If not you as developer, perhaps you have not secured the database and someone else is messing around with it. Perhaps you have turned off warnings so you (or whoever) does not get the 'do you want to delete table2' warning message.

Suggest revert to a backup and start again with your umbrella level changes.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do you have a consistent backup strategy? And a log book of sorts where you record what you are doing? Testing and results etc?
    It sounds like you have clicked or selected some unintended option somewhere in your work.
    I can't think of any option that would change the names of tables --especially a "swap of names"??

I agree with CJ
    The most likely first step to "fixing things" would be :
    -restore the latest good backup
    -review all interim changes since that backup was made

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.