twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021

Will a procedure finish for a form/report/function before another starts?

I hate to ask this again, I tried once before but people got all confused using terms like synchronous/asynchronous (which should only be used in terms of buss/port communications-clocked or not), multi-tasking and multi-threading, etc.

Without all that confusion, the question is quite simple (I think)
    IN ACCESS:

If I have FormA and FormB open, each has a command button that runs some VBA code.
    If I press CommandButton1 on FormA, will the VBA procedure finish before I can change focus to FormB (and if not) or before CommandButton2 on Form2 can start running its procedure?

I'm at a point where I need to be sure that FormB's procedures can't run before the procedure for FormA finishes.
    I guess it's also fair to ask if there are two command buttons on FormA that the first one will finish before the second can begin.

In other words, will a procedure ALWAYS finish before another procedure can start running?
    Or will Access suspend (as in multi-tasking) one process to work on another (and possibly have this happen several times before a procedure finishes)?
    Are there any other things that could begin like macros, timers, etc. that could interrupt a running procedure?

We already confirmed, in a prior thread, that common variables in a sub-module can be corrupted by multiple running forms (having worked around that horrible oversight of MS), and I need to make sure the same can't happen with procedures.

Because the procedures terminate so quickly on modern hardware, I haven't been able to devise a reasonable test of this.
    Thanks
    Last edited by twgonder; 09-11-2023 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarify

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    My understanding is that in the set up you describe, the vba associated with commandbutton on formA will run to completion before the second would start. However, if your vba contains a DoEvents, you would release control to "the system" and it may be possible to move to your formB before returning to code after the DoEvents in the FormA commandbutton vba. I don't think FormB would get control, but I do not know for sure. I don't see how formB could get the focus.
    Last edited by orange; 09-11-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling

twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021

Another lost post

I wrote and posted this a week ago. I don't know what happened.

If someone is interested in testing what happens with two forms,
    here's a little diddy that allows one to play with a variety of scenarios.

It's a modified version of the code for the right click problem from here:
    Right click throwing an error when multiple or modal forms (accessforums.net)
    Attached Files Attached Files

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Access is single threaded. It can only process one task at a time

If Form A is working on a single task, a task in form B cannot start until the other task is finished.

However if e.g. Form A is running a series of tasks on a loop, Form B can interrupt processing in Form A after each loop.
    Using DoEvents or Wait/Sleep or dbIdle.RefreshCache makes it easier to interrupt that code
    Form B will then run its own code loop and when completed, control will revert to Form A to complete its own processing

In other words, at any time, you can click a button on one form to interrupt code in the other form when a suitable 'moment' occurs
    BUT only one set of code can run at any time
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.