Iccy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003

Create search window with filtered results.

Me and my father have created a database table for a church.

We have a database of information.

We have created a query form with buttons on it to a sub form with a button for defined search parameters on a topic. In this case "creative".

This works great for a pre-defined search of the database, but what we really want is to have a box pop up or something like that, that gives us a filtered search option so we dont have to create a million buttons for each search we are trying to do.

Right now my dad is going into design mode ( in the view menu ), putting the search criteria into the design of the query and then getting the results he wants. The problem is, the people that will be using this wont be able to do that too easily they are not compute savy. And there is a chance for them to forget to remove the parameter and screwing up the ability to search.

So basicly, we are loking for a search engine kind of front end for the database we have. One where dates and last names and types of things can be defined in a search field.

He is really the computer wiz with this stuff, so forgive me if im not telling this right. He is a old school IBM and is just working through it, where as im new school and reach out to the hive mind when needed.

Anyway, if any help can be given, thank you much. If there is a need for clarity in my request, feel free to ask. Ill ask him what you ask me or have him come here.

slave138 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Create a field on the form (frmSearchForm for this example) for the search criteria (txtSearch for reference). In the query, replace the custom filtering with a reference to the form field:

Code:
    [Forms]![frmSearchForm]![txtSearch]
    You can also use a Null value if you want to return all records if no search text is entered:

Code:
    [Forms]![frmSearchForm]![txtSearch] OR [Forms]![frmSearchForm]![txtSearch] Is Null

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.