data808 is offline Noob
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Copy And Paste Form

I am running Access 2019. I have 2 split databases. I am trying to copy a form from one frontend file to another frontend file. It keeps telling me that I need to supply a password in the VBA editor. So I go to the VBA editor and go to Tools then the properties of the form and enter the password on both frontend files. After that I try again and the same message pops up. What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to open the access file in another mode? I forgot what it was called and how to do it but it was kind of like opening the file in admin mode or something. Usually you would have to remove the password in the VBA editor first then go to File and then Open and then there was an option to open it in a certain type of mode to be able to do certain things.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Depends how you are copying. Are you using Access's import (or export) options? or trying to copy/paste?

If the latter, usually both files need to be compiled or at least compact/repaired so there is no chance of any code running or being in an 'uncertain' state in either app at the time it's called opening. Can't speak for vba passwords as I never use them but suspect they need to be removed.

I think the option you are referring to is 'exclusive'

Open access, go to file>open

select your file and in the dropdown at the bottom, select exclusive

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2023-08-30_090005614.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	50698

data808 is offline Noob
    Thank you very much for this info. Yes I was referring to Exclusive mode. That is very interesting about the compact/repair having to be done before copy and paste can be executed but makes sense. Also do you know if the Exclusive mode would take care of the copy and paste issue as well? I guess I can just test it and report back. Thanks again for all the help.

data808 is offline Noob
    I just tested everything and even removed the passwords on the VBA editor for both frontend files and it wouldn't allow me to copy and paste the form I wanted. It kept saying that the source file that I was copying from was being used which makes sense since I had it open to copy it in the first place. The only thing that ended up working was to import the form. I should have done that from the beginning but it just bothered me that a simple copy and paste didn't work. I know it for sure works within the same frontend file, just not when you do it from one file to another.

Thanks again though for your help on this. It really helped me out and I was able to get my work done. Appreciate it.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Did you try drag and drop from one database to another.
    Also no need to open an object to copy it
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

data808 is offline Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Did you try drag and drop from one database to another.
    Also no need to open an object to copy it
    Yes. I would get the same messages like need to supply password in the VBA editor or the file was already in use. It was pretty identical to the copy and paste method. The only thing that worked was when I did an import. Even opening in Exclusive mode didn't do anything and I swear I have done the copy and paste method in the past after I removed the passwords in VBA editor or opened it in exclusive mode. I can't remember exactly which one I did or maybe I did both but I do have a memory of it actually working so I am kind of confused.

Editing every frontend separately is not very effective, and is prone for errors happening. I myself prefer:
    I have a network resource only I myself (or user group I am member of) has the access (in case users themself have to get a new copy of frontend, then they will have the reading right there too) . There are subfolders where I design new (versions) of frontends, where I archive old versions of frontends, and where I place current versions of frontends for distributing. When users have the reading rights to main folder, then they must have reading rights for distributing subfolder too, but only for this subfolder;
    When I set up a new version for distibuting, all frontends for users are overwritten with the copy of this new version - so I have to design a frontend only once. The method used for distributing the new version depends on where user copies are stored (on user computer, in user's profile on Terminal Server, in network folder the user has access to, etc.), and may be either messaging users about new version to be copied, or me replacing them manually (what I dont want to do for sure!), or running e.g. windows script which does it, etc..

data808 is offline Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    Editing every frontend separately is not very effective, and is prone for errors happening. I myself prefer:
    I have a network resource only I myself (or user group I am member of) has the access (in case users themself have to get a new copy of frontend, then they will have the reading right there too) . There are subfolders where I design new (versions) of frontends, where I archive old versions of frontends, and where I place current versions of frontends for distributing. When users have the reading rights to main folder, then they must have reading rights for distributing subfolder too, but only for this subfolder;
    When I set up a new version for distibuting, all frontends for users are overwritten with the copy of this new version - so I have to design a frontend only once. The method used for distributing the new version depends on where user copies are stored (on user computer, in user's profile on Terminal Server, in network folder the user has access to, etc.), and may be either messaging users about new version to be copied, or me replacing them manually (what I dont want to do for sure!), or running e.g. windows script which does it, etc..
    Sorry I don't think that is what I am trying to do. I am just updating one frontend file but I wanted to use a form from another completely different frontend as a template because I was lazy to start from scratch. Lol.

As far as rolling out new updates for one frontend at a time to all users, I already have something set up to do all that. Thank you for your suggestion though. Really appreciate the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.