dockeradz is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Character limit for WhereCondition in DoCmd.OpenReport

The character limit for the WhereConditionParameter of DoCmd.OpenReport has been 32,768 characters in the past as documented on https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/of...cmd.openreport

I've noticed in Access 2021 the limit seems to be between 2045 and 2058, probably 2048.

Here is a sample whereclause (shortened and edited) and the openreport statement:
    Code:
    whereClause = [Machine Name] IN ('Machine1','Machine2') AND [Out Of Service] = False AND [Disposed]=False
    DoCmd.OpenReport "SerialNumber", acViewPreview, , whereClause
    IF the Whereclause is more than 2048 characters in Access 2021 I get the error:
    Code:
    Run-time error '7769':
    The filter operation was canceled.  The filter would be too long.
    MY questions are:
    IS anyone else seeing this in Access 2021, is it just the version I'm on or something like that? I don't think this was the case in 2019.
    Is there a better way to do this?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Have never tried to string together a filter long enough to see that. As for other ways, perhaps a named filter query, or construct the entire sql in vba and run from there, or use vba to edit the SqlDef property of a query and run the query.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

It looks like it is the list of machine names what is making the condition too long. Maybe you would consider (in case you don't have it jet) a table where all machines are listed. Then to get all registered machines included, the query will be
    Code:
    SELECT ... WHERE [Machine Name] IN (SELECT MachineName FROM tblMachines [WHERE ...]) AND [Out of Service] = False AND [Disposed] = False
    In case the list of machines must be limited somewhy, I added an optional WHERE clause (in [] brackets).

Also, I did see you have in your original table fields "Out of Service" and "Disposed". You can consider having a field Satus instead - then your query will be like
    Code:
    SELECT ... WHERE [Machine Name] IN (SELECT MachineName FROM tblMachines [WHERE ...]) AND Status IN("Out of Service", "Disposed")
    or in case you use numeric values for diffferent statuses, e.g. 8 for "Out of Service" and 9 for "Disposed"
    Code:
    SELECT ... WHERE [Machine Name] IN (SELECT MachineName FROM tblMachines [WHERE ...]) AND Status IN(8, 9)"
    Edit: When fields [Out of Service] and [Disposed] in your original table mark statuses of machines, and the original table isn't the table of machines registry, then you have a problem with your DB structure!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.