firerw is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Post Subform data not displaying using Windows 7 platform

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping that someone here can help me.

I've attached a few screen captures to aid in explaining my problem.

I have a Access program that was originally developed using Access2000 and has since been converted through Access 2003, 2007 and now 2010.
    This program has been used exclusively on Windows XP platforms with no issues and is used many times a week. No changes to the programming have been done prior to my problem that I'm about to describe appearing.

Last week I got a new PC with Windows7 installed. When I ran my Access program on this platform, a subform requery/visibility problem is apparent. (See attached screen capture #1 compared to screen capture #2)

In essence, the steps I am executing are that I am clicking on a data entry within the subform, that brings up a new form that allows me to modify the existing data for that row. On save, within the new form, it closes, requeries the original subform and should redisplay the entire dataset with the row data that I modified changed. But when using the program on a Windows7 platform, this is not happening. (See screen capture #2. The data is there, just not visible to the naked eye. (See screen capture #3) Clicking MS Access 2010 Refresh All may, or may not, display all of the subform data. If it does not, then even leaving the form tab and coming back will not work to display the datat and I have to go back and cause an action that will requery the parent form first.

The entire dataset within the subform that I am having trouble with is contained within a single query.

There are no memory or RAM issues that I can see. I've watched my task manager and there's no trouble showing.

This is an i5 core PC. Can the multi core be a problem for subforms?

There is no issue of the data in the tables. it is being correctly modified.

THERE ARE NO ISSUES when I do this same procedure on a Windows XP platform with the same file.

Is there a .dll I'm missing? Or a setting in Access2010 that I can perform? Or is there programming that I need to do to resolve this?

Hoping you can help.

Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    First, I don't exactly know the answer. Having said that however, I'm fairly confident that it has nothing to do with RAM or the processor - and even the OS is doubtful.

It is always frustrating when a new version doesn't behave like the old version. But it happens. In happens and has always happened between every version on occasion in some apps. Just the way it is. I would say ~20% in my opinion. But the bigger the jump between versions the greater the %. And so if you were to ask me to guess what the probability was of some issue going from 2k to 2010 - I would say near 100% that some issue would crop up. Even though nothing surfaced in 03 or 07.

Generically speaking - a subform may not show if there actually is no data in the records set. So this is something to sanity check.

You specifically state "No changes to the programming have been done prior to my problem that I'm about to describe appearing." - and so this in fact may be the issue given it is written in 2k. For instance the code may be refering to a toolbar method that is no longer valid as the refresh technique (just an example - maybe not litterally your issue).

What you might consider is tactically deactivating particularly relevant code with a ' and rewriting it (while in 2010 of course). Also if not too onerous - consider whipping up a brand new subform - perhaps duplicating the main - and inserting this new one in. Sort of like a car engine that isn't working for unknown reasons - one sort of dis-assembles it and reassembles it step by step. Not sure if that analogy makes sense or not....

by the way - after making a copy - also be sure to do a compact/repair. one never knows....

in the end with these cases, one does not always find the 'why' of something does not work - but simply resolve it by remaking it. But in this inelegant resolution if you have a multi version environment then you will want to be sure to keep track of the 2010 version as your updates will not be backward compatible.

Sorry I can't be more definitive and am interested to learn what you find.

firerw is offline Novice
    Thanks NTC for your comments. Your thoughts cause me to check some code in order to check out some of your comments.

Here is the bit of code that is used from the point the user clicks to modify data till they are returned and the subform is requeried. It's pretty basic VB and I don't think it's changed at all between Access 2010 and previous versions to which it still works:

' Invoke Investment Details form -- pass ClientID and InvID in case need to create records
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmInvDetails", acNormal, , "[InvClientID]='" & sClientID & "'", , acDialog, _
    sClientID & "|" & sInvID

' Refresh this form with the updated information
    Set f = Forms("frmRolodex")
    f.Requery
    Set rs = f.Recordset.Clone
    rs.FindFirst "[IDNumber] = '" & sClientID & "'"
    f.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone

I agree that I doubt that RAM or processor is the source of this problem.

I have done a repair and compact on the program from within Access 2010. Problem still exists.

I like your idea of recreating the subform within Access 2010 and trying that but I'm hoping that some other solution is readily available short of having to rebuild my program in Access 2010. That is a major undertaking and I'll stay on Windows Xp rather than spend the months rebuilding what is already working there and wait for the release of the next OS, if I have to.

I really hoping there's a better, easier and/or simpler solution.

Thanks for your comments, help and advise and the time you gave to me in order to try to help out. The whole of which is very greatly appreciated.

firerw is offline Novice
    Yahoo,

I found a dirty workaround.

I inserted a form refresh into my code after the re-query and re-cloning.

It works, but leaves a blink in the application which I do not like to have from a programming point of view.

I came to the solution when I noticed that on minimizing and maximizing the Access window, the data would be displayed correctly.

Thanks to everyone for their time and thoughts on this. If you have a better, more efficient and professional solution, I would dearly like to know.

Cheers

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    a refresh is a small price to pay to get it to work.

there is a Microsoft developers forum where you might be able to get an answer to this issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...essdev/threads

if you just post just the essence of the 2010 subform visibility/refresh issue - - one of their mvp's might have insight on the behavior. include that code.

if you do get resolution - would be great if you post the info on this string....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.