Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JohnLouisWood is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Finding second on a ist

I am running a query (of a query) where 4 values fit the criteria. I know that I can use FIRST and LAST to find 2 of the values. How can I find the other values, and work with them. My report prints the First([Field]), but do I 'find' the second value? I know in other places I could do First(NotFirst([Field])), but that does not seem to be a choice in ACCESS.
    I'm sure that I'm not the first to ask this question, but I did not see where.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    First and Last are based on the sort order, usually Min/Max are more dependable. One way to get your seconds would be to use a subquery to get your first and use <> (Select FIRST (YourField) From tblYourTable) in the criteria row of the First (YourField) of the main query.
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Office 365
    Looks like a beautiful dog. The Min and Max idea seems to have answered my other question - different thread.
    What happens to my subquery if there is only 1 value to start with? I make query v2.3 and then call the Min in v4, just like I am now doing to v2. With 4 values like I now have, it should 'catch' my second value. But what happens if I had only 1 value to start with? My MIN, First call would get what result?

Gicu is offline VIP
    Would return no results as expected (the subquery would return the only value as the first/min and the query itself would return no results as there are no others different than that).
    Cheers,

Windows 10 Office 365
    But that seems to create a problem: Query_v2 has 4 records (seasons with 15 wins), Q_v4 is a single record finding the MIN and MAX from Q_v2
    Q_v2_3 strips the MIN and MAX from Q_v2, thus 2 records, and Q_v5 then is a single record showing the MIN, 2nd, 3rd and MAX from Q_v2 (2nd and 3rd are MIN and MAX from Q_v2_3)
    And when I create Q_v2_7 which strips MIN and MAX from Q_v2_3, it has 0 records, as we expected. But this is necessary since the next time the team wins 15 games, it will be the 5th non-consecutive season of 15 wins.
    The problem is that when I try to run/create Q_v6 to show Min, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and MAX, I get no record at all. I was expecting a single record as I had in Q_v4 and Q_v5 with a 'blank field'.
    This happens even if I just include Q_v2_7 in the FROM statement (without any SELECT)

Windows 10 Office 365
    The 'other' concern is where should my report(s) Look at. Right now I am fine looking at Q_v5 for what I need, but how does the report automatically go to Q_v6 when the team wins 15 games the next time.
    Also most of my other reports use a different cutoff (not 15 wins) so will they 'automatically' look at Q_v4. How will they know where to look (Source code for the (sub-)report). I'm in the process of using/creating SWITCH statements to tell the report how to narrate the seasons, single or consecutive, and how many sets.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Hard to say without seeing your data and\or expected output, but I think you should look into building a ranking query instead of these nested queries (to show the blank field you need to change the join type from equi join to outer join - with the arrows pointing from the one with most records towards to ones with less).
    http://allenbrowne.com/ranking.html
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Because of the way the module populates my table(s), the FallY values are already ranked. I thought maybe that I should be using a JOIN expression to get Q_v2_7 with 0 present records to work for Q6. Well Q6 works fine withOUT Q_v2_7 (does not include any info). When I tried to put a JOIN in Q6, I got a JOIN expression not supported error. And this was using 2 of the queries from Q5.
    Q5 SQL:
    SELECT Min(A.Total15ws) AS Tot15ws, Min(A.Max_cws) AS Mx_cws, Count(B![CountY]) AS Cnt_Max, Min(B.FallY) AS Fir_Fall, Min(C.FallY) AS 2nd_Fall, Max(C.FallY) AS 5th_Fall, Max(B.FallY) AS Lst_Fall, Fir_Fall & "-" & Right([Fir_Fall]+1,2) AS Fir_Seas, [2nd_Fall] & "-" & Right([2nd_Fall]+1,2) AS 2nd_Seas, [5th_Fall] & "-" & Right([5th_Fall]+1,2) AS 5th_Seas, Lst_Fall & "-" & Right([Lst_Fall]+1,2) AS Lst_Seas, Min(B.FallN) AS Fir_End, Min(C.FallN) AS 2nd_End, Max(C.FallN) AS 5th_End, Max(B.FallN) AS Lst_End, Fir_End-1 & "-" & Right([Fir_End],2) AS F_E_Seas, [2nd_End]-1 & "-" & Right([2nd_End],2) AS 2_E_Seas, [5th_End]-1 & "-" & Right([5th_End],2) AS 5_E_Seas, Lst_End-1 & "-" & Right(Lst_End,2) AS L_E_Seas
    FROM Res_15cws_v3_Query AS A, Res_15cws_v2_Query AS B, Res_15cws_v2_3_Query AS C
    WHERE (((B.CountY)=[A].[Max_cws]))
    GROUP BY A.Total15ws, A.Max_cws;

And Q6 SQL trying to include JOIN:
    SELECT Min(A.Total15ws) AS Tot15ws, Min(A.Max_cws) AS Mx_cws, Count(B![CountY]) AS Cnt_Max, Min(B.FallY) AS Fir_Fall, Min(C.FallY) AS 2nd_Fall, Max(C.FallY) AS 5th_Fall, Max(B.FallY) AS Lst_Fall, Fir_Fall & "-" & Right([Fir_Fall]+1,2) AS Fir_Seas, [2nd_Fall] & "-" & Right([2nd_Fall] + 1,2) AS 2nd_Seas, [5th_Fall] & "-" & Right([5th_Fall] + 1,2) AS 5th_Seas, Lst_Fall & "-" & Right([Lst_Fall]+1,2) AS Lst_Seas, Min(B.FallN) AS Fir_End, Min(C.FallN) AS 2nd_End, Max(C.FallN) AS 5th_End, Max(B.FallN) AS Lst_End, Fir_End-1 & "-" & Right([Fir_End],2) AS F_E_Seas, [2nd_End] - 1 & "-" & Right([2nd_End],2) AS 2_E_Seas, [5th_End] - 1 & "-" & Right([5th_End],2) AS 5_E_Seas, Lst_End-1 & "-" & Right(Lst_End,2) AS L_E_Seas

FROM Res_15cws_v3_Query AS A,
    (Res_15cws_v2_Query AS B LEFT JOIN Res_15cws_v2_3_Query AS C On (B.[Cws_ID] = C.[Cws_ID]))

WHERE (((B.CountY)=[A].[Max_cws]))
    GROUP BY A.Total15ws, A.Max_cws;

Gicu is offline VIP
    Do you have a mix of join types? You should ensure they are all left outer joins.
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Office 365
    I only have the 1 JOIN expression at this time. When I changed LEFT to INNER, it ran but as expected it only ran for the 2 matching records, not the 4 records from Q_v2. When I use OUTER instead of INNER, I get a syntax error because of OUTER

Windows 10 Office 365
    How can I get data from several queries? The problem is that Q_v2_7 has no records at this time. At this time, anytime I include Q_v2_7 in the FROM statement, I get no records at all. My other desired queries are 1 record each. I want some data from each of them, and was hoping that I could have a blank field at this time from the Q_v2_7 field(s), until they are populated in the future. I am expecting my 'new' query to have 1 record that I can use to narrate a sub-report.

Windows 10 Office 365
    I am expecting to use this query and sub-report as a template for multiple other sub-reports.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Is it legitimate for Report - Data - Source to have this statement? SWITCH (Count(Q_v2_7.(Cws_ID)>0, Q_9, Count([Q_v2_3]![Cws_ID]>0, Q_8, true, Q_7)

Gicu is offline VIP
    A report has a record source which can be a table, query or a SQL statement, what you have is an expression (which would work for a calculated field). Can you show a screenshot of the query where you attempted to use the left outer join in design view?
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Office 365
    I did the LEFT JOIN in Post #8. 2 SQL's, first runs fine, and I think the 2nd is the 'same' except I tried to use LEFT JOIN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.