Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vita is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2002

Set timeout for CurrentDb.Execute?

Hey, I am using the following code to update some tables but sometimes the tables are being used by others and it causes the program to lock up for 1-2 minutes and I am trying to find a way to set the timeout to like 10 seconds.

Code:
    CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET StatusCode = 'COM' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
    I tried using CurrentDb.QueryTimeout but that didn't work. I saw something about SqlCommand.CommandTimeout but It was very confusing and seemed like I would need to rewrite a lot of stuff.

I use a connection string to create linked tables at the moment and then write data to those linked tables using statements like the above code.

Thanks for any advice/help.

Edgar is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    What is causing the program to lock up? Can you check if it's locked up through vba?

Minty is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    If those tables are in use on other forms and assuming you are in a multiuser environment, how are you opening the queries / tables on those other forms?
    If they are only being used as lookups or are on non-editable forms try switching them to a snapshot view, that will reduce the number of locks on the records/tables.

Also make sure the other forms where you are editing content only open the records you need to edit, e.g. view lots of records on snapshots, open one record to edit.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    What is causing the program to lock up? Can you check if it's locked up through vba?
    I am not sure what you mean by checking it through vba? a separate program is locking the record so the vba query freezes access while it keeps retrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    If those tables are in use on other forms and assuming you are in a multiuser environment, how are you opening the queries / tables on those other forms?
    If they are only being used as lookups or are on non-editable forms try switching them to a snapshot view, that will reduce the number of locks on the records/tables.

Also make sure the other forms where you are editing content only open the records you need to edit, e.g. view lots of records on snapshots, open one record to edit.
    I don't have another form using them. My company has an ERP software that could also be using the records. I am able to create linked tables with the odbc connection.
    The problem lies in if someone is using the ERP to modify a specific record and the program tries to update the same record, which happens more than you would think.

I am looking for a way to detect if that specific record is locked rather than have access freeze up for a whole 2 minutes.

I have some error code written incase that happens but it only goes to the error section after querying/running the command for 2 minutes.

Minty is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Hmm, have you tired using a pass through query to do the updates?
    That wouldn't involve access in the process of locking a record, only the server, and it will release locks in a much more efficient manner than Access will I suspect.

There are T-SQL methods for obtaining locked record data, but by the time you have checked for it and returned that status to the Access FE, that status might have changed?
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Hmm, have you tired using a pass through query to do the updates?
    That wouldn't involve access in the process of locking a record, only the server, and it will release locks in a much more efficient manner than Access will I suspect.

There are T-SQL methods for obtaining locked record data, but by the time you have checked for it and returned that status to the Access FE, that status might have changed?
    I am not familiar with pass through queries so I googled it and the learn.microsoft.com page says they are read only statements but I am running UPDATE statements so it wouldn't work.
    If there was some way to lower the time the query would attempt to connect it would work perfect as it would error and tell the user it can't update the record so they have to try again later.

Is there anyway to do that?
    Is there perhaps a different way of updating data that could detect locked records or shorten the query attempt time?
    Maybe there is a way to detect if a record is locked before attempting to run the update command? that would also work.

I appreciate the help!
    I was going to use DAO to update the records but it seemed easier and more efficient to use CurrentDb.Execute and I believe there was a different issue I encountered using DAO that I cannot recall at the moment.

Minty is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    A pass through can run anything that can run on the server, assuming your connection has permissions.
    If you create a pass through with something like

UPDATE MyTable
    SET MyField = 'String Data'
    WHERE MyOtherField = 999

It will work.
    So you can create a generic query def, and simply replace it's SQL and set returns records = False and it will perform an Action query directly on the server.
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2002
    A pass through can run anything that can run on the server, assuming your connection has permissions.
    If you create a pass through with something like

UPDATE MyTable
    SET MyField = 'String Data'
    WHERE MyOtherField = 999

It will work.
    So you can create a generic query def, and simply replace it's SQL and set returns records = False and it will perform an Action query directly on the server.
    When googling I found this as a way to write them in VBA. Gonna try this out but I was wondering if you had a different recommendation on how to write them? I use some variables to decide tables and criteria.

Code:
    Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef, rst As DAO.Recordset
    Se qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("")
    qdf.Connect = "ODBC;Driver=SQL Server;Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
    qdf.SQL = "SELECT GetDate() AS qryTest"
    qdf.ReturnsRecords = True
    Set rst = qdf.OpenRecordset
    Debug.Print rst!qryTest
    rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing Set qdf = Nothing

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...dset-in-access

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You almost got it, you don't need the recordset, to run it you simply use the .Execute method of the QueryDef object:
    Code:
    qdf.SQL = "UPDATE tblYourTable SET Field=....."
    qdf.ReturnsRecords = False 'your update queries don't return records
    qdf.Execute
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Vita View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by checking it through vba? a separate program is locking the record so the vba query freezes access while it keeps retrying.
    I meant if you can check with your vba code whether the table is locked before executing the update query.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    You almost got it, you don't need the recordset, to run it you simply use the .Execute method of the QueryDef object:
    Code:
    qdf.SQL = "UPDATE tblYourTable SET Field=....."
    qdf.ReturnsRecords = False 'your update queries don't return records
    qdf.Execute
    Cheers,
    When I use qdf.execute I get ODBC connection failed even though I am using the same string as I was to connect to linked tables.
    Code:
    Public Function WTUpdate()
            On Error GoTo Error_Connection
            Call SetVars
            Dim WTqdf As DAO.QueryDef, WTrst As DAO.Recordset, Number
            Dim UpdateSQL(0 To 6) As String
            UpdateSQL(0) = "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET StatusCode = 'COM' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
            UpdateSQL(1) = "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET StatusTime = '" & Format(Time, "hhmm") & "' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
            UpdateSQL(2) = "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET CurrentStatusComment = 'T/T COMPLETED' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
            UpdateSQL(3) = "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET TimeUpdated = '" & CurrentTime() & "' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
            UpdateSQL(4) = "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET DateUpdated = '" & Date & "' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
            UpdateSQL(5) = "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET UserUpdatedKey = '" & sUserKey & "' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
            UpdateSQL(6) = "UPDATE " & TableFound & " SET StatusDate = '" & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "' WHERE " & StatusCriteria
            Set WTqdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("")
            WTqdf.Connect = "ODBC;Driver={SQL Server Native Client 11.0};Server=server;Database=database;Network=DBNMPNTW;UID=UID;PWD=PWD;"

For Each Number In UpdateSQL
                WTqdf.SQL = Number
                WTqdf.ReturnsRecords = False
                WTqdf.Execute
            Next Number
    Exit Function

Error_Connection:
        Call Msgbox("Cannot mark step complete. Someone may be editing the record." & vbCrLf & "Error: " & Error & " " & Err.Number)
    End Function

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I think this
    Code:
    WTqdf.SQL = Number
    should be
    Code:
    WTqdf.SQL = UpdateSQL(Number)
    And to make sure you have a valid connect string I usually "borrow" it from one of the linked tables:
    Code:
     WTqdf.Connect = CurrentDb.TableDefs("tblYourLinkedTable").Connect
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Access 2002
    I think this
    Code:
    WTqdf.SQL = Number
    should be
    Code:
    WTqdf.SQL = UpdateSQL(Number)
    I thought this too but when I tried it I got type mismatch and in debug mode I hovered over just "Number" and it showed the update string. I guess since its a For Each it does it that way.

And to make sure you have a valid connect string I usually "borrow" it from one of the linked tables:
    Code:
     WTqdf.Connect = CurrentDb.TableDefs("tblYourLinkedTable").Connect
    Cheers,
    I tried this with no luck. Same error
    Not sure what is causing it. I checked that the sql is getting written properly by using
    Code:
    debug.print WTqdf.SQL
    and it came out perfect (I know it works because I was using it just as currentDb.execute prior to realizing I needed to calculate for locked records).
    Could it be because I have that same table setup as a linked table in access?

Windows 10 Access 2002
    I did some more googling and I found a this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-through-query
    Which tells you how to get more info for it.

Turns out I don't have access to run UPDATE directly using passthrough. I should be able to get that permission.
    What's weird is I could do it via CurrentDb.Execute and it worked fine and would update the SQL server too.
    It worked fast enough using CurrentDb, is there anyway to detect if a record is locked so I can just skip the update if its locked?

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Vita View Post
    is there anyway to detect if a record is locked so I can just skip the update if its locked?
    Are you using MS SQL? Can you run this?
    Code:
    EXEC sp_lock mytable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.